You can be fined $250K if you called someone an "illegal alien" in NYC

I think this may get challenged in courts and eventually tossed. Sounds like it goes against the first amendment.

Also, you can no longer threaten to call ICE on someone “based on a discriminatory motive” or discriminate based on English proficiency .

New York City has banned the term “illegal alien” when used “with intent to demean, humiliate or harass a person,” the city said.

The city’s new guidelines, announced last week, also ban discrimination against someone based on their English proficiency and threats to call immigration authorities on someone “based on a discriminatory motive.” These violations can result in fines up to $250,000.

The guidance is for all public accommodations, employment and housing, the city’s Commission on Human Rights said.

Just when you think the radical left can’t get any more nuts. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It only applies if you use the term to demean harass or humiliate a person. It might be upheld

Well, first of all - how do you even prove that ? Second - whatever the intent is, it’s still free speech, isn’t it ?

How about calling someone a racist in a hateful manner?

Libs here would be broke…

3 Likes

Everyone wants freedom until they see someone else doing something they don’t like.

1 Like

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.
Mencken

2 Likes

The big question.

If an illegal alien calls another illegal alien an illegal alien with intent to demean, humiliate or harass said illegal alien, will they be deported in addition to the fine ? Because they’re an illegal alien, you know :wink:

2 Likes

“The president’s slogan, the mayor said, should be “Make America hate again,[ because he’s trying to foment division as a political campaign.”](https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/14/politics/bill-de-blasio-2020-ice-raids-cnntv/index.html

Foment division? Between whom? Those who have a legal right to be here and those who are here illegally? I certainly hope so. There should be a division between those actively breaking the law and those who are not.

But go ahead…make open borders the slogan of the Democrats this year.

2 Likes

No lib participation?

Wrongspeak punished at last.

1 Like

A young singer was recently injured by someone in the crowd throwing their cellphone at her and hitting her in the face/head…giving her stitches. Noticing how the media is treating the culprit Nicolas Malvagna…my “spider senses” are indicating there’s a strong probability…he’s an illegal alien. Since it happened in NYC and I’m using this term…I wonder if they’ll come after me for $250,000.00? :sunglasses: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

No. The big question is, what statute makes the act a criminal offense?

Not a chance. What on earth makes you think it could be?

Some folks simply need to be demeaned, harassed and humiliated.

That applies multiple times over for the woke.

1 Like

Sure, it would. Our Constitution, if I remember correctly, commands no law shall be made abridging the freedom of speech, unless it protects against speech which demeans harasses or humiliates a person.

1 Like

New York Constitution
Article I - Bill Of Rights
Section 8 - Freedom of speech and press; criminal prosecutions for libel
Universal Citation: NY Const art I § 8

Every citizen may freely speak, write and publish his or her sentiments on all subjects, being responsible for the abuse of that right; and no law shall be passed to restrain or abridge the liberty of speech or of the press. In all criminal prosecutions or indictments for libels, the truth may be given in evidence to the jury; and if it shall appear to the jury that the matter charged as libelous is true, and was published with good motives and for justifiable ends, the party shall be acquitted; and the jury shall have the right to determine the law and the fact. (Amended by vote of the people November 6, 2001.)