WSJ: Unemployment 3.8%, (up from 3.5% in July), Walmart Cuts Starting Pay for Some New Hires

I guess it’s easier to hire new employees now.

Walmart Cuts Starting Pay for Some New Hires

By
Sarah Nassauer Sept. 7, 2023 10:38 am ET

Walmart is paying some new store workers less than it would have three months ago, a sign that employers are seeking to cut labor costs as the once-hot market for hourly staff cools.

The country’s largest private employer changed its wage structure for hourly workers in mid-July, according to documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal and store workers.

Under the new structure most new hires will make the lowest possible hourly wage for that store. In the past, some new hires, such as those who collect items for online orders, would have made slightly more than other new hires such as cashiers.

Walmart’s minimum hourly wage of $14 remains unchanged and still varies by region, for example starting at $17 in some stores. Existing workers don’t receive pay cuts.

Walmart said the change in pay structure allows workers to move between work groups such as food, registers, stocking or digital fulfillment without pay impacts . . .

Walmart employs around 1.6 million U.S. workers, most of whom work in stores and warehouses. The new wage structure doesn’t reduce wages for current employees, but allows stores to hire new folks at a lower rate . . .

Existing workers will be fired for the slightest of infractions now. Every one in salaried positions will depend on this for their bonuses next year, now that theft has all but eliminated the employee stock bonuses.

I hadn’t heard that.

I know that generally Walmart aims (or aimed) to pay its workers and treat its workers slightly better than whatever the area average is.

It used to be:

• $1/hour more than other area supermarkets
  • Two paid 15-minute breaks a day
  • More full-timers fewer part-timers
  • some sort of bonus or stock option

They are not trying to be good, just better than the other guy.
(“I don’t have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you,” sorta thing.)

They used to pay employees time and a half to work on Sundays.

Then it was a dollar more an hour.

Now it’s nothing.

3 Likes

I am not sure what definition of unemployment the WSJ is using.
(Prob the U-3 which, I read is pretty standard)
U-1 is more narrow and counts only those unemployed 15 weeks or longer.

Last official measure was on Aug 1 and it was 1.4% which is not bad.
Ten of the last 12 recessions began with U-1 at or below current level so 1.4% does not guarantee anything about the future, but it is certainly not bad.

Same chart, same U-1 data . . . this time present as a year-over-year change.

Since 1950 the US has reached this level of unemployment-change 12 times.
All twelve times (12 out of 12, a100% correlation)

• the economy entered a recession, AND
  • Y-oy U-1 change promptly doubled (at least)