WSJ: The Welfare-Industrial Complex Is Booming

The Welfare-Industrial Complex Is Booming

What’s driving American job growth? In progressive states, it’s government, social assistance and healthcare.
By Allysia Finley
Dec. 31, 2023 11:23 am ET

Drill into the nation’s 3.7% unemployment rate, and you’ll find a growing welfare-industrial complex beneath the seemingly strong labor market. Government, social assistance and healthcare account for 56% of the 2.8 million net new jobs over the past year, and for nearly all gains in blue states such as New York and Illinois. . . .

New York City is spending $394 a day—or $143,810 a year—to house and feed each migrant, many in formerly posh hotels. . . .

Public-choice theory assumes people are guided by their self-interest. Progressive government and the groups that feed on it have a vested interest in not solving pressing social problems. Treating mental illness and drug addiction, and getting the homeless into productive jobs, would mean fewer jobs for the welfare-industrial complex.

It’s amusing, then, to hear Democratic leaders like Mr. Adams and Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson scapegoat migrants for their cities’ vagrancy and budget deficits. How do they explain Texas? The Lone Star State’s foreign-born population has increased by far more than New York’s over the past few years, yet it has 75% fewer homeless people than the Empire State.

The article goes on to state:
"More spending on Medicaid, migrants and the homeless means more jobs for the welfare-industrial complex. Government, social assistance and healthcare made up most, and in some cases more than all, of the net new jobs over the past year in

• California (61%),
  • New Jersey (81%),
  • Oregon (89%),
  • Michigan (113%),
  • Illinois (113%) and
  • New York (121%).

“The last three states lost jobs in several industries, including manufacturing and tech, but they were more than offset by gains in government, social assistance and healthcare.”

1 Like

I guess Ms. Finley and I read the same monthly jobs report from BLS.

My recent comments on the topic include:

The positive monthly jobs numbers we see are not, as one would think, a sign of a healthy economy, they are a sign of an expanding government.

This is an absurd take by the article’s author.

I would like to ask them what a government interested in solving those problems looks like.

It certainly applies in some cases.

Can you point me to a immigrant-aid group or office that says “We have too many immigrants. we should shut the border?”

I doubt it. The same groups and government offices that receive $143,810 per year per illegal immigrant never (never ever) say “There are too many. They wind-up dirt poor when they come here. We should shut the border to stop this human suffering.”

They always say in effect “Keep the borders open. Keep them coming. Nevermind the fact that we receive $143,810 per year per immigrant. That’s not our motivation at all.”

3 Likes

I house and feed a family of five for just over half of that. :thinking: :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

You don’t have ten layers of middlemen and bloated overhead expenses that have to be funded between your income and your expenses.

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound like a very valid excuse to me either. lol

1 Like

Hey, it the off season in nearby Martha’s Vineyard.
NYC could house and feed them there for a lot less this time of year.

expansion of govt programs are good in my eyes.

obviously in your eyes it isnt.

Allan

aka helping people is food.

Allan

Well, chemotherapy is good, it fixes a problem.
Penicillin is good, it fixes a problem.
Only in this case, it does not fix a problem, it hides one.

Franklin Roosevelt hired people to dig holes and fill them up again.

• He did not say “Hooray the economy is great!!”
  • He said “We have a problem and this good thing I am doing is the solution.”

Joe Biden is using our money to hide a problem from us,
and then declaring there was no problem in the first place.