WSJ calls into question claims that African-Americans are doing well in Trump economy

Unemployment is at record lows. Did they mention that?

As I noted before, you are playing semantic games rather than addressing the issue.

Brilliant. Any other wise thoughts?

No, because the interesting question is why is low unemployment having so little positive effect on wages.

The drop in unemployment has been a steady trend for seven or eight years now, even since the economy started to recover under President Obama. Funny this is that when unemployment began to drop noticeably under Obama, the entire conservative focus was on how labor force participation was dropping and that was driving down unemployment. With Trump in office, conservatives now treat that drop in unemployment as a benefit fo President Trump.

Labor force participation continues to drop, a function of longer lives, baby boomer retirements and younger workers, primarily in the manufacturing sector begin up. But conservatives no longer treat it as important? Why is that?

Trumpists again just piggy backing

2 Likes

Yes. See above.

This chart shows that unemployment among African-Americans has declined for six straight years, under both Obama and Trump. Trump has no reason to claim credit for this trend.

The issue in the data I brought up was wages.

You mean yes. That’s exactly what I said. And this OP is about wages. It does not refute his claim.

Which claim? Trump’s claim that he brought down African-American unemployment when all he did was piggyback on a trend that started under Obama?

Or Trump’s claim that he has been a great President for African-Americans.

Trump is correct that unemployment is down in the African-American community but he does not seem to have had anything to do with it.

Do you think that low wages among African-Americans should be addressed?
Do you think overall wage growth (5% in 12 years) should be addressed?

Or do you just want to sing the praises of Donald Trump?

2 Likes

Obama didn’t start the trend and Trump didn’t continue it. It is the business cycle.,

Yes. They need to do better in the fields of education that lead to better jobs. However, I have no suggestions. If I could solve that one I should be President.

So in the end, you agree with me, that President Trump should not be claiming that African-American unemployment results are something he should take credit for.

I am please to see we can reach common ground.

1 Like

False.

from https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2019/employment-population-ratio-up-over-the-year-labor-force-participation-rate-changed-little.htm

Step 1 - Get a wage
Step 2 - Get wage to go up

Obama did nothing to drop unemployment, if you want to hand out credit give it to helicopter Ben Bernanke. Although who knows the long term consequences other than the national debt was doubled.

I’m not sure what your disagreement with me is. I see an unemployment trend under Obama, continued under Trump, that neither one contributed much too. My criticism is Trump claiming credit for job creation, something Obama was much more modest about doing.

Can we agree that neither President has contributed much on this count or are you going to insist that the trend that started under Obama suddenly became a result of the Trump Presidency when Trump maintained it.

1 Like

And keep the job for longer than a few months.

Black Americans don’t have jobs?

They all quit or get canned at the end of probationary period?

Don’t know and don’t care, I simply laid out a simple requirement for wage increases.

What fields are those?

Engineering?

Nursing? And what of those whose academic forte isn’t any of those fields?

I’m dealing right now with some grads with science degrees-generally biology—and they insist they need graduate degrees to go any further, and, IMO, even that particular degree is no guarantee that they’ll get the jobs they want.

Perhaps the question to ask with any degree is what would I do after graduation. Minor in education and teach? Take the MCATs & pursue a medical degree?