WSJ calls into question claims that African-Americans are doing well in Trump economy

I dragged a picture in to the document – not sure if it can be seen. The Wall Street Journal (bastion of left wing racial identity politics one supposes) has data on wage gains for Americans since the Bush recession began on 2008. Overall, wages are up about 5%, which for a twelve year span is truly awful for everybody.

Gains for white works are slightly above 5%. Asian and Hispanic workers both exceed the white average.

African-Americans have seen a gain of 1.8%, well below everyone else.

Two conclusions:

1. Next time someone talks about how well African-American employment is doing in the Trump Presidency, remember these data.
  2. 5% across the board in 12 years is an awful record that neither party has shown much inclination to crack.

Interesting that you would want us to remember this data relative to Trump and African-American employment. Don’t you want us to remember this data to show how Hispanics are doing under Trump?

Because I have heard numerous claims about African-American “record” employment under Trump… not much about Hispanic-American employment at all.

Will that change the data about Trump and African-American employment?

In order for your wages to go up, don’t you have to have a job?

You know what will help?? Paying “reparations” to the 4th, 5th, 6th generation descendants of DEMOCRAT slaves.

And don’t forget all of the DEMOCRAT jim crow, segregation and racism post-slavery.

Your chart shows wages, not unemployment.

And my comments were about wages as well. Did you read them?

No. The upward trend in African-American employment that began under Obama has continued under Trump, and Trump takes credit for all of it.

Actually, no. A substantial number of jobs have seen real wages decline against inflation in recent years. A good example is truck drivers, whose economic position has deteriorated substantially over the years.

What, in your opinion, causes wages to go up, if simple employment does not?

Ah. That would explain it then. I’m glad it wasn’t because you were only interested in putting Trump in a bad light and were leaving out the positive things.

When a politician makes a claim, such as Trump talking about African-American employment, it is reasonable to test the data. All the more so, when one is dealing with Donald Trump, who has so much difficulty with being truthful. That’s the nature of politics. If that hurts your feelings so be it.

You might notice that much of this period of low wage growth occurred during the Obama Presidency and I am happy to put that data out there because it is data. I could have presented it in a more partisan light, but I did not.

Finally, what is the good news about 5% growth in wages over an eleven year period?. That translates to a raise of slightly less than .5% a year… and this is an average so many people are below that level and a few hugely above it.

1 Like

Yes. Well, as another poster mentioned, the big controversy was about his claim that unemployment went down during his Presidency, not that wages went up. But perhaps he also made a specific claim about the wages of African-Americans. So if you could direct us to his quote and how it was wrong…

No, his big claim was that he was a great President for African-Americans because unemployment had gone down.

Im 3 generations removed from slavery but you dont care because it happened to black people

Some people did something.

And they were all DEMOCRATS.

1 Like

Not the one I quoted.

Here it is again.

What I write is not what I quote. Simple distinction. Why are you worried about it?

The issue is the continuing problem of most Americans singing little or no wage increases and African-Americans doing worse than others… despite claims they are doing well. Why do you want to bury that in semantic games?

Let me guess.

I think it also helps to not be an unwed parent.

But that seems to be crossing racial lines.

Many 20 somethings seem to think they don’t need to be married to raise a child.

So you don’t have to have a job to have wages?