Workers quitting their jobs is at the highest level in nearly 13 years

Third month in a row where job offers outnumber the unemployed. Tax cuts and lowered regulations keeping the economy booming. If the reps keep the house, we will boom.

“The proportion of workers quitting their jobs is at the highest level in nearly 13 years. That’s a sign of confidence in the economy, because workers typically quit when they are sure they can find a new job, or when they already have one, usually at higher pay.”

“U.S. employers posted slightly more openings in June than the previous month, resulting in more available jobs than unemployed people for the third straight month, signaling a solid economy.”

2 Likes

I’m not as confident. Similar to high turnover, it doesn’t necessarily mean there are more jobs available, just that your current job is that bad that you’re not losing anything by quitting. An over abundance of crap jobs can yield the same results. I’m not trying to throw a wet towel on this, just positing the possibility.

The real headline is about there being more jobs than people to fill them. Wages are going up!

1 Like

This is a good point. I am with Cratic on this.

Another question that gets asked is Why are wages slow to rise?

They will…They just lag the market as employers grudgingly respond to the labor shortage with better pay.

Wages are slow to rise because employers don’t need to raise wages. It’s no more complicated than that. We actually need a labor shortage to get better pay. Until that happens employers seem to be ok with high turnover.

And when you have people reentering the job market at beginning wages it’s masks the rise in wages of those who were continuously employed.

Funny how the stock buybacks didn’t lag. :thinking:

Wages are stagnant because companies have zero incentive to pay people more. Unions are all but extinct and us tax payers are subsidizing companies who don’t pay a living wage. So they have zero incentive to pay more.

A labor shortage will help certainly. And people voluntarily leaving their work could be a good sign. However there are also some red flags popping up in the economy. I continue to remain cautiously optimistic, but we’re also due for a recession and correction of the market.

“Salaries: US wage growth in June was 2018’s strongest so far”

"“What results is that more workers, especially in high demand industries like healthcare, finance, and e-commerce, are in the driver’s seat to negotiate for better pay in order to fill these roles.”

The Glassdoor data showed that traditional blue-collar jobs – such as truck driver, warehouse associate, and materials handler – posted large wage gains. The increases were tied to the increasing demand for manpower in those areas created by growth in e-commerce, and Chamberlain expects that wages for these positions will continue to climb throughout 2018."

1 Like

Wait. One minute trumpists shout that the participation rate is increasing then start bragging about people quitting their jobs?

They are not leaving the labor market, they are getting better jobs at higher pay. Just the opposite of working two part time jobs under Ol’ Flexible…

It’s the reason they are quitting their Ol’ flexible era jobs that’s cool…

Quitting a job when you don’t have another lined up is pretty damn irresponsible - no matter how the economy is doing.

My field of work has always had a high transition & probably always will. Lately a number of employees—some with at least 5 years—have quit, & I’d say most have found new jobs before they left.

These aren’t workers going to minimum wage jobs, either, but skilled professionals who aren’t always easy to replace. I’m with the O P.

I think more have confidence in the economy than they were having for awhile & are finding more opportunities for themselves.

I am seeing more and more ads proclaiming “no experience necessary!”, which is an indication (to me) that the pool of experienced candidates is shallow. This triggers non-experienced workers to leave their no-skill positions for better work (if the pay at the positions that will train you is more than the entry-level jobs they are at.)

There was a time when 5% unemployment levels was considered optimal. Lower than that would cause inflationary pressure on wages, and therefore on product/service prices. Now we’re below 4%.

People are leaving current positions for better ones. Unemployment rates have started to shift people away from holding onto a lesser job because, “hey, at least I have a job…”

I have been a firm believer that if someone wants more pay than he is currently getting, he should do whatever it takes to move to a better paying job.

The growing job mobility is a sign that more people are willing to take precisely that leap.

2 Likes

When people vacate low-wage jobs, and employers cannot re-fill those positions, they have to raise wages (and/or benefits) to fill them.

Job mobility creates the incentive.

Here it comes!

The inability to think more than one step ahead is what makes them leftist followers…

Highlighted part of your post isn’t art of what’s going on here, though.

Thank you for acknowledging benefits!

Way too many don’t realize that part of wages is benefits offered, medical, dental, any tuition reimbursement offered. These are usually the sorts whining nobody’s pay is high enough.

Just curious based on other posts, are you an HR man?

Nope. Just a polymath.