Wisconsin High Court Declares Stay at Home Unconstitutional

Here were I live in Utah, about half the resturants have opened for dine in (at reduced copacity until we reach green status – going to yellow this weekend). Half are still doing curbside or drive thru only.

We knew this was going to happen. The people just went along with the state governor’s orders to lockdown, but we knew, or highly suspected, there was no federal or state law that allowed it.

Wisconsin Supreme Court Strikes Down State Lockdown Rule

The 4-3 ruling on Wednesday, the first of its kind in the nation, found that Evers’ administration overstepped its authority when it extended the mandate for another month without consulting legislators.

Bars, supper clubs and restaurants across Wisconsin were allowed to open their doors immediately - though some county governments moved quickly to impose their own lockdown rules in place of the governor’s decree.

In many parts of the state, however, overjoyed residents flocked to their favorite haunts after two months of home-bound isolation.

There is already a thread on this.

1 Like

I looked for key words and didn’t see it, sorry

Hey, it worked. lol

1 Like

Just because people are not legally forced to be stuck at home, and close / bankrupt privately owned businesses, does not mean that we suddenly forget who the people are who are in the most at risk groups, and we do not suddenly forget mitigation practices for the at risk groups.

Exactly. Besides, some people have already had the virus and defeated it without getting sick, and are no longer in danger of infection.

1 Like

What businesses are considered essential in Wisconsin? Inessential?

Link?

The Supreme Court deferred to the state supreme court on matters of the state constitution, just like it did in Wisconsin. As they generally do.

So what?

Most.

Cheese.

Found it

Some of these activities seem pretty reasonable. Who can’t, for instance, live without a tatt or a tan?

But hair salons? Swimming pools? Gyms?

Let’s just say I hope the bowl cut doesn’t make a comeback and, while swimming and gyms aren’t the only options for exercise, they are options. I don’t want to hear a single word about overweight Americans should the dust settle.

Tattoo shops already wear masks.

Looks like insurance agencies are considered essential in Wisconsin. The insurance agency that’s closest to me operates remotely now, posting social messages on the sign at its office.

“Six feet”. Some of us aren’t touchy feely types by nature, & who comes up with these numbers? How?

“We’re all in this together.” No, we’re not. I know if I ever need an insurance agent where I won’t be doing business.

Might that vary from state to state? It isn’t just Coronavirus I’d worry about in a tattoo parlor :nauseated_face:

I know if one donates blood here in MA, should they answer yes to the tatt or piercing in the last 6 months question, they’ll be asked what state they had it done. If, like most locals, they had it done in state, they’ll be turned away from donating until their last tatt or piercing was longer ago. These establishments aren’t a regulated industry here.

Punishing the business for taking safety precautions is petty.

1 Like

The Pennsylvania lawsuit was related to special waivers that Governor Wolf authorized to selected businesses to allow them to stay open. The governor has chosen to revoke the waivers rather than reveal the details about the program; I assume that also removed the basis for continuing the lawsuit.

The governor has continued the lockdowns allegedly based on science, but it appears that his administration followed New York’s lead and forced nursing homes at accept COVID patients:

https://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/news/20200501/states-ordered-nursing-homes-to-take-covid-19-residents-thousands-died-how-it-happened

The result is 68% of the deaths in Pennsylvania are been from nursing homes and similar facilities:

What possible justification is there take away the constitutional rights of millions of people while failing to take basic measures to protect the most vulnerable?

The whole basis of the bill of rights is to minimize government intrusions.