Will Trump fulfill yet ANOTHER Campaign Promise by Imposing a toll at southern border?

I thought the OP was about the toll.

Care to discuss it?

:man_shrugging:t3:

It will not be done. We just signed the NAFTA 2.0 deal with Mexico. We cannot already renege on it and start adding tariffs/tolls on transit. It was a stupid red-meat campaign rally throw-away line that will never come to pass, because reality still exists.

I consider all of it new.

When you gut a kitchen and build it back outā€¦it is considered a NEW kitchen. Renovation results in new. The rusty barriers that were replaced were as though nothing was there anyway.

You donā€™t say you have a new house when all you did was remodel the kitchen. That is the analogy here.

Has nothing to do with the trade deal.

It is a border crossing user fee.

It will work well for travelers from both directions.

Cha Chingā€¦

:moneybag:

You call it a new kitchen.

If you renovate the entire houseā€¦its a new house.

No need to complicate.

I donā€™t think you understand how trade deals and multi-national agreements work. But okay. Want to make an avatar bet on it? For two weeks the winner can choose the avatar for the loser. I bet there will be no toll at the southern border by November 3rd, as this was just a red-meat throw-away line at a rally. You bet there will be, as it seems as simple as cha-ching. Deal?

If you build a new house, then you have built a new house. If you have remodeled a kitchen, or replaced a roof, you have not built a new house.

Most of Trumpā€™s border wall has been illegally funded and is doing much more harm than good. The Constitution exclusively gives to Congress the power of the purse. Trumpā€™s illegal funding of his wall is a big reason why I will be voting Biden/Harris.

3 Likes

That would be silly with all the opposition for any sound Trump initiative.

So tell meā€¦why shouldnā€™t people crossing the border in both directions pay for the security and staffing of that border?

No hurry on my end. Trump can get some nice toll booths made and a fancy new Facile Pasar logo.

:moneybag:

You just made up the roof part.

The logistical requirements alone would be massive. What sort of cost analysis has Trump and the administration done on how much fees should be to offset the expenses of this added logistics? How many new crossings would have to be created to allow the excess time of thoroughfare to proceed unhindered? There are perishables crossing the border that cannot sit for extended periods of time without causing issues. Walk me through the logistics of all of this, and then I will see what I think about the proposal.

It is easy to say, ā€œletā€™s charge people money to crossā€ but in practicality there are a lot of things that need to be known first.

I did not. The roof analogy was the analogy I used earlier in this thread.

Border traffic is already absurd.

So you seem to be saying that with due diligence it isnā€™t such a bad idea.

:ballot_box_with_check:

Did not apply to my response.

Disingenuous argument on your part. It isnā€™t a matter of semantics on how much renovation makes the result new. Old barrier wiped = New barrier.

:+1:t3:

The pandemic just emphasized the need for better border security.

Unintended consequences.

:astonished:

Doubtful you or most anyone will be placing any bet big against Trump being re-elected or on tolls never materializing eitherā€¦

If Congress states that we shouldnā€™t have a huge wall along the border than there shouldnā€™t be a huge wall. Congress is directly elected by the people, and the Constitution exclusively gives Congress the power of the purse.

Iā€™ve been saying for well over a year now that Trump wins re-election.

A fair point. I do not advocate circumventing Congress for any President.

Budget negotiation has become almost impossible, not justifyingā€¦just pointing out.