Will metal detectors in schools work?

The new President of the NRA , Oliver North thinks so. With all due respect to Col North. How? How on Earth can a metal detector stop a school shooter? Can a metal detector shoot back? Why would a homicidal manic be deterred by a machine that beeps and does nothing else? Why wouldn’t the shooter simply kill everybody standing in line then kill the metal detector operator? A metal detector against a maniac is all but useless.

Who cares? Stuff happens.

Hmm. I hadn’t thought of it that way.

I think they could keep guns off campus though. There were some kids at some school last week that were passing around a gun. I guess it could help in that way.

Unless there are armed resource officers manning the metal detector checkpoints, no, they wouldn’t stop anything.

Finally heard the fact brought up in the wake of this last shooting that so many school campuses have so many buildings with so many avenues of egress that it makes security near impossible.

Campuses would need to become walled-fenced in prison like places for single point passage metal detectors to prevent the carrying of weapons into schools.

After reading the OP, I’m not sure that would even work.

Mr North also appears to be blaming ritalin for these mass shootings.

At least it’s not as bad as suggesting there need to be less doors in schools :grin:.

:joy:

See now this is quality trolling. Nailed it.

Anecdotally, I went to a middle school that was in a bad part of town and because of several incidents they put a prison style fence around it with a single point of entry. The overall vibe at that place as a result was just awful. The worst year of my life, to be honest.

1 Like