Will lockdown in India kill more people than the coronavirus?

Poor people are literally starving as a result of the ongoing lockdown in India. They are not allowed to work and many are getting barely enough food to survive while stuck in tiny shacks with no electricity. The government appears to be interfering with people from leaving their homes even to deliver food to relatives. Here is one description:

“The lockdown was not the right decision,” grumbled Deepak, whose friends no longer came out to play cricket. “The rich can survive even if the lockdown stretches for a year, but what will the poor do?"

Without even a television, he had started going to bed earlier, and waking up later. One day was blurring into the next.

But sometimes, a 17-year-old who knows the streets can be useful.

When a call came that his grandparents had run out of bread, his mother turned to Deepak.

His grandparents live a few miles (kilometers) away. She gave him a half-kilo (one pound) of flour and sent him out into the streets. He jogged through roads, alleys and fields, dodging police checkpoints or talking his way through them, until he reached his grandparents and delivered the food.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/I-am-so-afraid-India-s-poor-face-15206966.php

Of course the WHO has praised the lockdown.

The UN has expressed solidarity with India in its fight against coronavirus, with a top official at the world body’s health agency praising Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s 21-day nationwide lockdown as a “comprehensive and robust” response to the raging COVID-19 pandemic.

When India imposed these draconian measures with 606 cases and 10 deaths in a country of 1.38 billion people. The government recently extended the lockdown until at least May 3.

Is the cure worse than the disease?

What responsibility does the WHO have for encouraging the lockdown?

Damned if you do and damned if you dont.

Can you imagine the health care disaster if the virus ran rampant through some of Indians most densely populated cities?

Around the world we are seeing the temporary shutdown of movement has helped to flatten the curve and resulted in far less deaths than predicted.

But yes the economic fallout is horrific in its own way. No perfect solution for this pandemic.

The population of India is relatively young and the number of cases there have been very small compared to the population.

The lockdown arguably protects relatively well off Indians, especially older ones. Poor people who are forced to survive on a an extremely restricted diet and are forced to stay inside cramped quarters are creating conditions that may result in many more deaths. They may also be in worse health and have less resistance to the disease once the lockdown is finally lifted.

From what I can see the cure is much worse than the disease.

I do not know enough about Indian culture to make a comment on who benefits; however, you may be right. The problem is we can only choose one course of action and once we commit we have no real idea how the alternatives would have played out. We can speculate and make educated guesses but thats it.

Yes, the cure is worse than the disease because the cure is mitigating the disease. Stop mitigation efforts in India, millions of people die, and then the disease is worse than the cure. How do people not get this?

And Covid virus will rear it’s ugly head anyway the moment you end the lock down.

It will which is why we may have a rolling process of shutdowns to ensure health systems are not overloaded.

There really is no precedent for this.

I agree. We have to allow this virus to take it’s course but monitor hospitals to make sure they don’t get overwhelmed until we reach herd immunity or come up with vaccine.

But we have “some” that thinks we need to wait out the last known case…which isn’t going to happen.
All I can do is take precautions and return to normal life as I can.

Keep in mind I basically isolated myself back on Feb 29th at my niece request.

A wise choice my friend.

I agree we cannot wait until the last case.

The danger we run into is that people think the danger is over, go back to work, stop social distancing and the virus because of the ease in which it is transmitted is allowed to get hold again.

It seems broadly speaking we are on the same page which I think is a first.