Why so serious?

It’s linked above, once by @conan and once by me.

Is that what you want to be allowed to do? Be allowed done to you?

Bringing up Trump was discussing the points in the OP. Are all thread response suppose to exist in a vacuum where we pretend we know nothing about which politicians the poster supports?

He was participating in the discussion.

I’m fine with whataboutisms, even done to me.

No it wasn’t. The points in the discussion were about a completely different person. Nobody piling on even mentioned them. Open your eyes.

“Trump!” Is not an argument.

No he wasn’t, he was mocking a typo you had already drawn attention to.

We don’t have typo threads in Politics.

Go look at it again.

I see the disconnect. You’ve never started a thread anywhere but in here.

You should try it before you make that claim. Put a lot of effort into it. Read and add some good links. Really flesh out an argument.

Are we done here?

1 Like

Now you’re just being condescending. I started several threads on the old forums.

We’re done.

Not at all. How is that condescending? 4 threads, everyone of them in Community Feedback. That is a fact.

Good.

1 Like

Because you are acting like I don’t know what goes into a good OP. As I said, I started some on the old forum so I don’t know why you brought up this forums history for a second time.

I think we both know that not every OP on these forums has put a lot of thought into what they posted and I think its completely fair to point out their hypocrisy.

So you say, not one in 2.5 years. Give it a try.

I’ve considered it, but haven’t come up with anything I felt was worth it or I didn’t assume would just get merged into a preexisting mega thread.

It was about Biden comment…not Trump.

Biden talked about being strongest labor president…what the ■■■■ does that mean?

That you care? Care about what? Workers safety? Unions? All that doesn’t even matter if their is no jobs available.

Because of derailment that was never brought up. Libs achieved what that wanted.

Shame really…it could have been a good discussion.

Perhaps you should have thought better than of including:

Honest day work for honest days pay…that something you never experienced Joe.

You set up the shot…

I see it. What were the libs doing? They were challenging @Conan on his objectivity . There are a couple of points to make.

1. A poster opens themself up for criticism when they conflate a President’s personal qualities with their policies. They should stay on point about how their policies will likely undermine the promise they are making.

2. This is not a “tu quo que fallacy” that some mistakenly and often point to when they want to dismiss some Whataboutism. The libs surely did some “Whataboutism” but they made no concerted and overt attempt to challenge the character assessment that the OP was making. They challenged Conan’s legitimacy as an objective poster. Had they said “Conan since you didn’t complain about Trump’s qualities in this regard, we have to assume that your accusations about Biden are false”, THAT would have been a TuQuoQue logical fallacy.

3. They challenged the objectivity of Conan. Let’s say it more plainly. They challenged the intellectual honesty of the OP. Yes. And it was a legitimate challenge and it was a fair challenge. There may
    be an issue of violating the guidance, “address the post and not the poster” but … not so fast. We write in shorthand here. Let me put on a lib hat and give them them the benefit of the doubt. The complete thought that they wanted to say could just as well have been “OP, you complain about Biden. But you know there is comparable criticism about Trump. We didn’t see you express such disdain for Trump, share with us the reason, the difference between Trump and Biden that led you to complain about one but not the other.” Now… of course in the heat of debate, these thoughts are not very explicit. But when such posts as these "yeah… what about " occur, the recipient should interpret them that way. And if he cannot articulate the difference, then we have to accept the standard used to judge the one case is a legitimate standard to judge the other case; namely Presidents’ personal behaviors are poor indicators of the efficacy of their policies.

I say give the OP another chance to show that Biden will be bad for the union worker… based on his policies…not his personal qualities. It should be a good thread.

1 Like

I guess you also missed the highlight part.

“live by a code, an American code, it sounds corny but it’s real. Honor, duty, country, something bigger than yourself.”

What code is that? Duty? Honor? Country?

Or is it basic survival?

Sometime I leave thread open for multiple discussions and angles.

As I said…it could have been a good thread.

And now you know why mods have to intervene sometimes.

Start a thread if you want on the topic, its not going to be discussed here.

I’m fine with the mods intervening in your thread because you requested it.

Do you look back at that experience and think about what you posted and how you could approach it differently in the future to avoid people doing a Trump whatboutism?

No I don’t.

I’m surprised at the patience shown in this thread. I’ve read it from the beginning.

The moderator who is being questioned is absolutely correct.

What we have here is “let me see what inch I can take so I can make it into a mile”.

You have great OP’s @conan

If you’re talking about the left, its “let me see what centimeter I can take so I can make it into a kilometer”.

Also I don’t believe thats the intent usually, at least for the regular posters.