Why so few COVID-19 cases in Russia?

It absolutely was. There’s a thread on these very boards propagating that nonesense.

Inside info only highest and most intelligent people are privy too. :wink:

It’s Russia. What now, 41 people have died from Coronavirus in the US? 500 could have died in Russia from CV by now, and the numbers wouldn’t look to much unlike flu deaths or just natural causes for that matter. Hell, the same could be said for here.

Because I have access to the genetics data scientists all around the world are using to track the spread of the virus.

How I know it’s highly likely the virus has entered the US on at least nine separate occasions…some from China…some not.

After that it’s all math and statistics.

In a highly mobile society practicing zero social distancing efforts (as we were not from January, when the first cases were spotted in the US, until now) a virus spreads rapidly, and small changes in infected people coming from outside (which was all the incomplete China ban prevented) make very little difference to virus spread in country.

From this same data it is quite clear the virus spread undetected via community spread for six weeks before the bad cluster popped up in Washington state.

It’s not classified data in the slightest BTW.

Yet you don’t post it…just take your word. Mmmkay.

You can trust the Russians to be as open about coronavirus as the Chinese have been.

That’s right I don’t.

Because I’m not out to convince people who don’t want cherished beliefs to be challenged.

In this day and age, travel bans are largely ineffective because a) by the time you know enough to slap a travel ban, it’s too late (and Trump waited 1-2 months AFTER the whole thing started to impose one anyway), infected people are already here and b) the other things you need to do in conjunction with travel bans are almost impossible to do in a free society, especially one as individualistic and distrusting of government as the United States.

We already talked about how we couldn’t have done South Korea here…can you imagine the squawks about government invasion of privacy if we allowed them to put our data into huge databases to fuel analytics that would tell governments where to isolate and where not to?

But many of you want to believe travel bans work, so you’ll believe it no matter how much facts and data are out there.

You can easily find the data I have access to…if you are interested in finding it.

Homework.

You made the claim it didn’t help. Back up your claim with the data you hold as proof.

No.

Go find it…it’s out there.

I’m done playing.

Well there you go. That was an easy win.

3 Likes

Elect Bernie.

1 Like

Travel bans by themselves are not enough. They can reduce the number of infected persons coming into the country, but there is always the risk someone will slip through, especially with a virus as contagious and fast-moving as this one.

Travel restrictions combined with lots of testing and follow up may be a solution. The outbreak in Washington state appears to have come from one of the early cases that resulted in local infections and spread unnoticed for several weeks. The failure of the CDC to provide/allow adequate testing is a likely cause for this outbreak.

[quote=“DMK, post:24, topic:228552, full:true”]

Needs to be 120 proof to be an effective sanitizer. 60% alcohol.

1 Like

The CDC said that it takes at least 120 proof to kill the virus.

Fortunately, I have a bottle of 120 proof Knob Creek bourbon. :wink:

2 Likes

Russia is not entirely free, but it is not Stalin’s Soviet Union.

500 deaths would imply something like 50,000 infections, and some of those would have traveled outside of Russia.To my knowledge there have been no coronavirus cases traced being traced back to Russia as the likely source of infection.

Nor have their been any reports of outbreaks from foreign visitors or from social media. Those kinds of reports forced China to admit that the virus was spreading rapidly in Wuhan in mid-January.

So in other words, since there is nothing we can do to stop the spread, we should just accept our fate and let this play out. Most people are going to survive, right?

My first question would be if large numbers of Russians fly in and out of the country to places that have been infected.
And is there a large amount of interior travel from place to place?

That’s ridiculous. The outbreak in this country was almost certainly caused by the infection being spread by asymptotic and/or mildly sick people who did not seek medical attention. Unless testing of everyone, sick or not, began the first day the virus was identified, it would not have … could not have … prevented the outbreak.

The Atlantic Headline:
The Coronavirus Outbreak Could Bring Out the Worst in Trump
Virology Isn’t Politics

Could any more irony be placed into two sentences?

Has North Korea reported any cases?

2 Likes