Why should someone start believing in God?

Why do we think He must have been lonely in the first place?

Just my personal views of course, but loneliness is an underlying symptom of existing in the first place. To me, it’s more of a memory than a feeling.

I’m not alone in this, but some of us only feel lonely when we are in a crowd. By ourselves or one or two others, we are fine. So by my measurement, God must be the loneliest being in the universe now, not before. :wink:

Why shouldn’t we think this?

God is an introvert?

That would explain a LOT…

Perhaps He has a touch of shyness as well?

1 Like

He also likes milk and cookies

He has been known by many names.

This immediately reminded me of the mock Religion 101 test.

ESSAY QUESTION
While it is true that there have been and still are many different gods and many different religions, they are really just different names by which various cultures approach the same God. Explain how and why each of the following is the same God:

• Quetzalcoatl, who wants you to skin a young virgin alive, then put on the skin and dance;
  • Shiva, who wants you to pray over his penis;
  • Allah, who wants you to fly airliners into buildings;
  • Catholic God, who speaks directly through the Pope;
  • Hebrew God, who most definitely does not;
  • Jesus, who wants you to castrate yourself to ensure arrival in heaven
  • Jehovah, who any day now, is going to kill everyone on the earth except for his Witnesses
1 Like

For you. But you have no authority to speak for anyone other then yourself. Anyone else’s beliefs are none of your business.

Already did, remember?

Just as science has learned things about the quality of lead (it cannot be turned into gold), so philosophers and the faithful are learning about the qualities of God.

Just as science has learned things about the quality of lead (it cannot be turned into gold), so philosophers and the faithful are learning about the qualities of God.

What, beside your own faith, distinguishes this statement from the following statements?

Just as science has learned things about the quality of lead (it cannot be turned into gold), so philosophers and the faithful are learning about the qualities of Shiva.*

Just as science has learned things about the quality of lead (it cannot be turned into gold), so philosophers and the faithful are learning about the qualities of Odin.*

Just as science has learned things about the quality of lead (it cannot be turned into gold), so philosophers and the faithful are learning about the qualities of Quetzalcoalt.*

This isn’t even going into the fact that your analogy isn’t great either. We can distinguish lead from gold through all sorts of things; it’s atomic number, its electron configuration, its color, density, heat of vaporization, Molar capacity, and boiling point. But you’re saying that God (specifically, the God that you happen to believe in) is known to all people, but they just happen to know him through other names.

So, the God you worship just happens to have revealed Himself to the Triple Alliance by the name Quetzalcoatl and to the Greeks as Zeus. Which is why I asked you how you think your God is the same god that went about and raped Callisto, Antiope, Europa, and Leda. Sometimes through bestiality, too.

Much has been learned about what God does and does not do.

Much has been learned about what God does and does not do.

So, a non-answer.

In another thread, you are complaining that people don’t give straight answers to issues on abortion or border patrol. So, why mimic the very behaviors that infuriate you?

Not something I would complain about or wording I would use since there are no “straight answers” (your wording) to be had.

Keep in mind, you were the one that pointed out God was no longer being worshiped under some of those names. I pointed out we had learned more about God and who He is over time. You don’t agree that Jesus revealed more about God than what had been revealed in the Old Testament?

you were the one that pointed out God was no longer being worshiped under some of those names.

Uh, no. That’s not what happened. Here is what happened:

Meriweather: It would make more sense, that someone perfect that loves us, would create everything and everyone
Me: But things aren’t true just because we would like them to be true.
Meriweather: Or false because we decided we know better. It still seems unlikely that intelligence evolved from dust–or even random chemicals coming together.
Me: I’m sure people have asked you how you know Odin, Set, and Quetzalcoatl don’t exist.
Meriweather: And my answer has always been God is as much adjective as noun. He has been known by many names.

• You suggested, without any reasoning to back up your assertion, that it “would make more sense” to imagine that a loving creator exists.
  • I point out that this is not so, that merely wanting something to be true isn’t enough reason to suggest that it is.
  • You retorted that, perhaps we don’t believe in god because “we decided we know better”.
  • I asked you why you don’t believe in God. My attempt was to make you wonder why you don’t believe in those other gods. Clearly, “[you] decided [you] know better” than the practitioners of other religions. I was attempting to draw a point of commonality - that just as you have dismissed the existence of other gods, some of us go a step further and dismiss the existence of your god. Just as you have for millions of other people’s gods and goddesses.
  • Rather than attempt to justify your position, you suggested that your god is real, and that other gods are just facets of your god.
  • I asked you to justify this outrageous claim. You have not.

I have never once claimed that God is, or ever was, worshiped under other names. You did.

I don’t know if you just didn’t follow the conversation that closely, or you expected me to not remember what I’ve written.

3 Likes

So why are you responding to his

Welcome

Argument from personal incredulity is a fallacy.

You have no way of knowing the probability.

I did follow the conversation. It appears to be your position that there have been many gods that people have worshiped down through the ages. That is one perspective. Another perspective is that there has ever only been one God, but people comprehend differently and call Him by different names. Some see God as having so many qualities that they perceive there must be many, not just one God.

By the way, I am not retorting nor am I asserting I know better. I am mildly presenting another possible theory that people have. I am looking for conversation, not a fight.

Is it very important to you that people believe that there have been many, many gods? Or, is it essential to you that people come to believe there is no God at all? I’ve been wondering what your point is.

It seems the philosophies of this God change dramatically depending on the culture of the people worshipping Him.

If I worship Satan, is that just worshipping God by a different name?