Why should someone start believing in God?

I genuinely have no clue - because if we’re talking about Biblical style miracles and the like, I don’t know why I would believe that it’s a “god” doing it and not some advanced aliens… or that I’m going insane.

I never understood why most Democrats don’t just answer a question, instead of answering a question with another question? Then they turn around and seem to get mad, when Conservatives get tired of answering all of their questions.

Well, that would suck. If aliens created everything and everyone, it wouldn’t really give life that much meaning.

It would make more sense, that someone perfect that loves us, would create everything and everyone.

If aliens created everything and everyone, it wouldn’t really give life that much meaning.

I’m not really sure how that follows. Or even what you mean by “meaning”.

It would make more sense, that someone perfect that loves us, would create everything and everyone

Again, I’m not really sure how this follows. I agree, it is a comforting thought to imagine that there’s a creator and that it has a personal, benevolent relationship with us. But things aren’t true just because we would like them to be true.

It would make you feel better you mean

Or false because we decided we know better. It still seems unlikely that intelligence evolved from dust–or even random chemicals coming together.

1 Like

I’ll let the Democrats stick to their “feelings”.

That’s what their party is known for.

And why is that?

Thats an ironic post.

A lot of people believe this is the true nature of God.

2 Likes

Upon what basis are you declaring it unlikely?

And here I was thinking I came to this conclusion on my own. There is nothing new under the sun indeed.

I’m happy to hear I’m not as alone as I feel.

Yes I’ll try to find some references but as best I remember it the philosophy goes…in the Beginning was God, and realizing He’d exist forever created a Great Game to prevent Himself from being bored beyond all belief.

So He split himself into many Beings who all forgot they were God, and the Great Game is each of these individual consciousnesses slowly, over many thousands of millenia, rediscovering they were God.

Once all is learned, and God is One again, He starts the Great Game all over again…

1 Like

Big bang big crunch

Or false because we decided we know better.

I’m sure people have asked you how you know Odin, Set, and Quetzalcoatl don’t exist.

It still seems unlikely that intelligence evolved from dust–or even random chemicals coming together.

??? I’m not sure that any modern, reputable scientist has ever suggest that intelligence evolved from “dust”, unless you’re using the term dust incredibly loosely.

As for the suggestion that you think it’s “unlikely” that random chemicals can come together to form life, have you heard of the Millery-Urey experiment?

And my answer has always been God is as much adjective as noun. He has been known by many names. Just as science has learned things about the quality of lead (it cannot be turned into gold), so philosophers and the faithful are learning about the qualities of God.

Know I haven’t, and it sounds interesting. Thank you, I will look into it.

Sounds like you havent even looked into abiogenesis at all

Probability…

That, or He’ll finally no longer be lonely. Wishful thinking, of course. :wink:

Could be.

And knowing what we know about quantum mechanics…each “cycle” of a Big Bang/Big Crunch would be distinctly different…the “rules” of each universe would be altered.

Although of course our current understanding of physics doesn’t support a Big Bang/Big Crunch model so…

1 Like