Why should someone start believing in God?

Let’s not go around in circles here. No matter what the environment, a person is born with a conscience. God judges him by how he lived his life according to his conscience.

Is there a deeper question in play here? After all, the scenario you presented is quite far-fetched.

The Catechism teaches that Christ gave the Church a mission–that is to proclaim the good news of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. The Church can assure those who follow the Way of Christ will enter into the Kingdom and the Way of eternal life. The Church believes that God has the final power, the final authority, the final judgement for those the Church fails to reach. i.e., the Church has no power or authority to assure Buddhists, Hindus, Satanists, etc. that their way will lead to eternal life. The Church was merely instructed to proclaim what Jesus taught. All else is left in God’s hands, which the Church teaches are loving and merciful.

Which again doesnt answer the question. And let’s not play the “far fetched” card and then use the bible and ancient mythology / allegory to assert the nature of God. The question is simple that @bullseyelqcs posed. How do you seek what you know nothing of? He didn’t ask what authority the church has.

Why should someone start believing in God?

For their Soul. Inner Peace, Happiness, Because God Loves them.

If you highlight the text you’re responding to, and then hit Reply, the text you’re responding to will show up as a quote.

That would make it a lot easier for people to follow what you’re trying to say.

All of those can be achieved without any sort of religion. Its proven the world over by all of the people who are perfectly happy not being Christians.

1 Like

And what’s your proof of this?

I am 100% certain that God does not exist.

And what proof do you have of this?

Touche. :wink:

Ok, put it another way. I’m 100% sure that the God of the Bible - Old and New Testaments - does not exist.

The proof is in the Bible itself.

You find proof in something you don’t believe in?

I was going to say it depends on how you define god

for me the reason why Believe in a God, though I don’t follow one religion seriously is because the concept everything we are, everything we have done as a species is all based on a random event is depressing.

Maybe not random, but logically necessary given an input of infinite permutation. But I do also believe in “God” it’s just not theistic or remotely similar to western/abrahamic interpretation

Yes. Because the state of the Bible itself renders it incapable of belief.

Everything in the Bible has to be taken on ‘faith.’

And in any event the actions of the God - particularly in the Old Testament - render the supposition that he/she/it is a God that “loves us” laughable.

I really wish you would take time to study the Bible, its language, its history, its culture. Perhaps begin with the perspective the Bible is not about how God treated us; it is about how we treated God.

That’s just silly spin / cherry picking the good from the bad. Probably works in Sunday school or a sermon, but not for critically thinking adults.

I am of the mindset you take them both.

For those who think some of us should believe in the christian God let me ask you this question? What would it take for you to start believing in Zeus and the other Greek Gods?

Everyone is an atheist. Some just disbelieve in one more God than the rest.

2 Likes

I’ve experienced Zeus.

I don’t think that you’re going to get Christians believing in Zeus.
There is such a thing called Faithfulness in today’s society still.

I’m not really sure how everyone is an atheist, but uuuuuuuuuuuuum ok?
pretending can be fun, however illogical it maybe. lol.