Why renewable energy can't save the planet

Super volcano, miles wide asteroid, alien virus … take your pick.

The population bomb got it wrong. It is now looking like we will peak at nine billion sometime between 2040 and 2050 and start going down from there.

You are free to buy crap cars that rust out at about 80,000 miles.

I prefer to be a little more frugal with my money, and prefer cars that can get 200-400 thousand miles before wearing out.

There is a reason I buy Toyota. :rofl:

2 Likes

My 18 year old Toyota SUV’s still kicking’ Gets me where I gotta go and a back seat big enough for a 100+ German Shepherd. What’s better than that?

1 Like

I’m not talking about the so-called population bomb. I’m talking about the fact that at some point the planet will be uninhabitable due to the pressures people put on it. Already, there are scores of places, both on land and on sea, where life (other than microbes) is barely hanging on. Another few hundred years (if man has not already destroyed himself by conflict) and those ares will have expanded to the majority of the planet.

I am a big Toyota fan, but they can make duds from time to time.

Most corollas, celicas, and MR2 spyders built from 2000-2003 all had ticking bombs for engines. The 1ZZ-FE and 1ZZ-FED engines that those cars used had poorly designed connecting rod bearings and piston rings. It wasn’t uncommon for them to start consuming excessive amounts of oil as early as 30,000 miles but the average was 50-70,000 miles. The 2004 model engines corrected this with a new rotating assembly and improved piston rings and when you swap them into older models, you use an 04-08 bottom end.

There was also the 7M-GTE debacle. Every 7M-GTE engine used in the Mark III Supra had incorrectly torqued head bolts from the factory. Cars that were pushed hard in any kind of way were blowing the head gasket at 10-15,000 miles.

They never issued a recall. Just a service bulletin.

Ironically out of all the cars I’ve owned, my Celica was the only one that required an engine swap. I didn’t know about the conn rod issue at the time and I got a good deal on it; I needed a fuel efficient daily driver for college. Sure enough, after a week of driving it I noticed excessive oil consumption; the car had 115,000 miles and was using a quart every 800 miles or so since I’m a stickler for checking fluids every week.

Put a motor out of a 2004 MR2 in it and drove the ever living crap out of it. Outside of the engine swap, it was a really good car. It had 315,000 miles on the body and the 5-speed manual transmission when I sold it about six months ago. Guy I sold it to was driving it around but then decided to get a DUI and got it impounded lol.

Here are more reasons:

1 Like

2 100+ Lb German shepherds.

1 Like

2 Likes

Perfect!!!

1 Like

2 Likes

Here’s another take on electric cars:

3 Likes

Solvable problem, at least for the lithium portion, get the needed metals from ocean water instead of mining. Seems to be quite a bit in salt lakes as well.

Lithium