Why is this ISU Professor Still Employed?

The syllabus stated:

GIANT WARNING: any instances of othering that you participate in intentionally (racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, sorophobia, transphobia, classism, mocking of mental health issues, body shaming, etc) in class are grounds for dismissal from the classroom. The same goes for any papers/projects: you cannot choose any topic that takes at its base that one side doesn’t deserve the same basic human rights as you do (ie: no arguments against gay marriage, abortion, Black Lives Matter, etc). I take this seriously.

Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted. - Lenin

It’s says why in the article you linked.

Well, it appears the administration took issue to Assistant Professor Clark’s syllabus, stating it violated her students’ First Amendment rights, & mandated she get the gift of clue with regards to the U S Constitution.

Regarding why she is employed still, I do believe most employers try to give problem employees a chance to get the program before kicking them out the door. It’s probably cheaper, less potential for a lawsuit, & less time & resources spent recruiting a replacement.

1 Like

Um, she was corrected and this is not true anymore.