Why I'm in Favor of Weath Redistribution

Theft in the context you describe is merely a subjective attribution of one’s own resources as being owned. It’s a declaration like any other. Such declaration is not a universal constant.

1000s of years. If not our entire existence. Consent of the governed (or lack of) is why most wars start.

You’re right, I understated it.

It really just boils down to what kind of country you want to live in and what you are willing to do within the current rules to make that a reality. “Intrinsic” ownership does not truly exist - either your side wins or it doesn’t… hopefully politically rather than violently. Our institutions are the most important things that hold this country together.

I subscribe to the theory of natural rights (which does not require belief in a deity, by the way). Life, liberty and property, and the infinite subsidiary rights that follow from three primal rights.

Obviously opinions differ here, but that is my view.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen man in a state of nature, but I have to imagine that if you do, your appreciation for institutions is likely maximized, in that singular moment.

1 Like

Basically, I pragmatically accept the institutions of our government, in so far that they are still preferable to any available alternative.

1 Like

I see. Natural rights are not sonething I’ve delved into philosophically. But I find it difficult to attribute a “natural” entity such as a “right” without any ontological descriptions composed of the physical

Great point. I think it is key to emphasize that it is relative.

Are our institutions perfect? Are they even the best they could be? In 99% of cases, the answer is no. But does that mean we throw them all away?

This is what drives me nuts when people push to dissolve SCOTUS. When you ask them what will replace it as the final arbiter…crickets…or completely unworkable and worse systems.

Human history in 3 sentences:

“MINE!”
“Nooo, MINE!”
“Boom boom pow”

[ASTEROID]

(sorry, I’ll get off that now)

1 Like

It is also why the current state of politics is frightening, where our justice system is being attacked by the executive and large segments of the Republican party.

1 Like

When the authority of Article III Judges began to be questioned, I knew we were heading for a ■■■■ show.

ETA: There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing a Judge’s ruling, or even his/her personality or demanor. But when you question their authority, you offend the Constitution, and when you’re supposed to be all about the Constitution, I ain’t feelin’ that noise.

1 Like

Ya, when our primary institutions explicitly begin devaluing and disrespecting the other, that’s when countries are at risk of dissolving. It is why Trump is such a dangerous POTUS imo. The rhetoric and disrespect of the office and the nation’s institutions/checks and balances.

1 Like

The most frustrating thing about this is that, when Trump was elected, and people like you were banging the alarm bells with anything you could grab, at times even your foreheads, I was fairly dismissive. I really believed the institutions were more than strong enough to withstand any assault.

It all seems so quaint now. I was a naive babe in the woods.

1 Like

And at this time, I think I may owe an apology to the OP, our friend Dale, for getting us off track. But a great discussion nonetheless.

As Forrest Gump would say …(in Alabama accent)… 'I’m sorry I ruined your wealth distribution party"

1 Like

It makes no ■■■■■■■ sense some of the rhetoric.

“Unconstitutional soviet style coup” regarding the impeachment inquiry. That is such dangerous rhetoric. TAKE IT UP WITH THE COURTS.

Of course, we all know if the courts don’t decide that the inquiry is unconstitutional, then the courts will be part of the coup!

That’s the legislative and judicial branches of government being undermined and devalued by the executive with dangerous rhetoric that could cause large segments of people to lose faith in our most fundamemtal institutions of checks and balances.

Yes yes, I will stop.

Back to :moneybag:

That particular rhetoric offends me because I am by no means a "scholar’ of USSR history but, I’m pretty obsessed, and tend to read everything I can get my hands on.

Describing these proceedings as a Soviet-style is the SOFTEST THING EVER.

Oh really? We’re frogmarching bewildered witnesses to troikas, where they are swiftly condemned, led to sloped-floor execution chambers, and shot in the back of the head?

Is that what we’re doing? Really? Do you people even know what has happened in the world before you were here?

2 Likes