Why don't they just raise taxes on the rich? Topic - LA teachers strike

In LA and CA I assume that Democrats can essentially enact whatever legislation they deem as best. So why not simply enact legislation to raise taxes on the wealthy to resolve this situation?

I’m not privy to the details of the districts budgets.

We should just let the fed print money to pay for education. Knowledge is not a tangible resource.

Look at who is on the LAUSD board and you’ll have a better idea of the situation.

Here is a link to some of the issues they are trying to resolve:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/la-teachers-strike-all-but-certain-as-union-rejects-districts-latest-offer/ar-BBS9C6B?OCID=ansmsnnews11

They don’t have any say on whether the mayor or governor should raise taxes.

Everything they are fighting for seems reasonable. I think it’s ridiculous that we have classes that have 42 kids in them! They should fight to lower that below 30. I know it would mean more schools, but it’s education! What can be more important for a child?

One of the things that was pretty shocking were theses class sizes mentioned:

“In Monday’s proposal, maximum class sizes in grades four, five and six would drop from 36 to 35, and in high school from 42 to about 39.”

It would seem like there is overpopulation along with strapped budgets.

Can’t any state impliment say a 79-90% marginal are there own to resolve such issues?

Yea those are huge classes. Too bad we dont care enough in society to build more schools. We would rather give corporate tax cuts.

Stock buybacks

1 Like

There are plenty enough rich people in CA, why can’t they simply enact a higher marginal tax rate on them to fix this issue? That would seem to be the easiest thing to do.

The issue the teachers are striking for has nothing to do with taxes.

Show your work.

I wouldnt have problem with that, if the #s add up. We should tax the people that keep doing crappy rehashes of 90s movies

It has everything to do with money, and last time I checked schools get their funding through tax dollars.

I’m not sure what you mean? Regarding marginal tax rates I would consider myself center-left. In other words if revenue is needed logically that would be the group (the very wealthy) one should look to first.

You said it would be easy. I’m just asking for the analysis you did to come to this conclusion.

School districts don’t set tax rates.

The issue is much more complicated than tax rates.

Did california cut corporate tax rates? Schools are majority funded by the state/local governments.