Why are we still having the Olympics?

My guess…when Hitler hosted them.

I certainly do not support use of US tax dollars to support the Olympics.

If private revenue or donations can support US participation in the games, then I don’t have a problem, but I also have no interest in watching the games at this point. It looks like am far from alone in the lack of interest.

Cost of the Olympic Games - Wikipedia

1 Like

No. Nothing wrong with bringing up human rights issues at the olympics. Same as addressing tragedies as we did in 2002 after 9/11.

1 Like

It’s great that we can disagree and neither of us be imprisoned for doing so. In some places on some issues, that is not the case.

It doesn’t matter what it sounds like to you, Carter instigated it based on his politics.

Ok. And pretty much everyone agreed with him. Sounds like it was American Politics.

Whatever makes you feel good about it, that’s all that matters, right?

Everybody didn’t kinda. The approval rate for the boycott was in the 50s. It wasn’t his idea btw but he did run with it and made it his

So why didn’t the USA participate in the 1980 Olympics? The Australian PM didn’t want us to compete in those Olympics. Despite his wishes we sent a team to compete.

You’re asking the wrong person. You should ask Siri.

So the U.S. team takes a knee not during the National Anthem. And then there is no political statement so far in the rest of the broadcasts and you say it’s a deal breaker? Shall I suppose that a ten second clip of guys kneeling during the National Anthem totally ruins the next three hours of sports for you? It might sound fine to you. But it really does sound silly to a lot of us.

I would have thought some of the appalling renditions of the anthem would be far more abhorrent than an athlete “taking a knee”.

Other than Roseanne’s, which performance are you referring to?

1 Like

I agree. I am embarrassed by those who compete for america and then want to make a stupid political statement. They aren’t worth my time

I agree with you. I haven’t watched the Olympics. I wish we had athletes there to be proud of. Its certainly not the women’s soccer team

Money. Money. Money.

Allan

I vote with my time, my opinion and my dollars. If you want to bring politics into your sport, your music, your acting or your what ever…I’ll vote whether or not I support that with what I bring to the table.

1 Like

On a lighter note, is ABBA (Money, Money, Money) responsible for the Tokyo Olympics?

Upwards of 70 million in Japan watched the opening ceremony?