Why are US troops in Sudan?

The Biden administration recently announced plans to send troops to Sudan and neighboring countries.

. . . United States Armed Forces personnel with appropriate combat equipment deployed to Djibouti, Ethiopia, and Sudan. United States Armed Forces personnel will remain deployed in Djibouti to protect United States personnel and others until the security situation no longer requires their presence, and additional forces are prepared to deploy to the region if required.
Letter to the Speaker of the House and President pro tempore of the Senate consistent with the War Powers Resolution (Public Law 93-148) | The White House

US media are reporting that the US embassy and US government officials have been evacuated.

It was less than a year ago that a US ambassador was sent to Sudan after 25 years.

The increased American interest in Sudan comes after China opened a commercial port in 2020 and Russia had gotten approval for Naval Base on the Red Sea.

Is the growing conflict in Sudan really an extension of the proxy war against Russia?

Can we expect that US troops will remain even after the evacuation is completed?

Maybe he wants to abandon more military hardware?

4 Likes

Easy answer

from https://genius.com/General-wesley-clark-seven-countries-in-five-years-annotated

So I came back to see him a few weeks later, and by that time we were bombing in Afghanistan. I said, “Are we still going to war with Iraq?” And he said, “Oh, it’s worse than that.” He reached over on his desk. He picked up a piece of paper. And he said, “I just got this down from upstairs” – meaning the Secretary of Defense’s office – “today.” And he said, “This is a memo that describes how we’re going to take out seven countries in five years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran.” I said, “Is it classified?” He said, “Yes, sir.” I said, “Well, don’t show it to me.” And I saw him a year or so ago, and I said, “You remember that?” He said, “Sir, I didn’t show you that memo! I didn’t show it to you!”

It’s just taking longer then originally planned.

Because we stick our nose in everyone else’s business, so the elites can make billions and think their lives mean something…

Endless wars

6 Likes

“Wars and rumors of wars” actually.

Apparently the left is not allowed to have opinions on endless wars anymore.

Just like their candidates. They have no choice. They must Obey the party!

Wait, is the point of this thread that people are pissed we used our military to evacuate our embassy staff? Is that really the complaint?

It is my understanding that there are still ~10k American citizens in Sudan

Yeah I’m annoyed by that. We’ve been literally saying for years to not go there.

Same here

And not just like “Be careful if you go there.” Literally don’t ■■■■■■■ go there.

From what I’ve read, there are many American teachers and aid workers struggling to get out. These are Americans who are there to try and help the local people. They’re not there for their own benefit. Our military should indeed help them. France has helped the Americans there already.

I wonder how many of them are also Sudanese citizens?

I’m some are selfless and trying to help, and some are CIA NGO’s meddling their political affairs. We do that all over the world and so does Germany, France and the UK. It’s a form of colonialism…

1 Like

It looks like Kabul 2.0 may be shaping up with a lot of stranded civilians with US citizenship. But don’t worry, most of the Americans left in Sudan have dual citizenship so everything is cool.

Despite a number of nations evacuating their citizens, the US government has continued to say that the conditions are not conducive to a civilian evacuation. All US government personnel were evacuated in a military operation this weekend. . .
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/26/politics/americans-sudan-us-government/index.html

I can’t find rhyme or reason to your posts. You want the US military in Sudan now? Or if they go in it’s a proxy war? What exactly are you complaining about?

Lodestar = America Sux.

I would point out that Afghanistan was a mess of our own making.

American citizens trapped in Sudan are in a mess of their own making.

They learned nothing from the withdrawal in Afghanistan?

1 Like

Evacuating Americans from a civil war is a good thing.

Instigating a civil war is a bad thing.

The US appears to be doing both at this point.