Why are ships backed up off the coast of California?

As far the dozens of ships waiting because the EPA rule, I have confidence that Trump would have understood the problem and signed an executive order suspending the rule by now.

Secretary of Transportation Buttigieg is missing in action, and Biden is clueless.

No Christmas for you!

Boo-da-jegege does his shopping at the mall on Christmas Eve.
All will be well.
Who are these people?

Interesting. My guess would be union thing. There’s always lights on and people moving around.

If this was an EPA thing, Georgia wouldn’t be experiencing the same issues. They have ships waiting longer than normal as well, though nowhere near as bad as California.

It’s a global supply chain issue.

How is it EPA?

Missed the “if”. I don’t understand.

Slow day at work. So I’ve been reading up a bit.

I think you’re right. Looks like it’s a union thing.

1 Like

Could it be the unions are using “crisis” for leverage?

Ships that normally go to West Coast ports are being diverted the East Coast even though that increases shipping time from Asia.

Backups in Georgia may well be related to the EPA screw up in California.

Bills point, along with the article he posted. Is that an EPA ruling is causing the delays in California. Stricter truck emission standards mean only 50% of trucks can be used (article doesn’t say how they came about these numbers)

I disagree about it being EPA standards in California. As this is a global supply issue.

1 Like

Not that I’ve seen. But honestly, I don’t see why the unions wouldnt use this issue for leverage. If the industry in the US is moving to 24x7 operation to match Asian ports, than the Unions would want to negotiate new contracts.

Explain how it is a global supply issue? Seems to me there is plenty they just can’t unload it. Yes there is actually stuff out there that is in short supply. But that doesn’t cause port backups.

Based on the map, thirteen days to bypass LA/Long Beach and go through the canal. Shorter than the anchorage time waiting to unload.

Interesting.

If you highlight a chunk of a post and choose the pop-up “Quote” feature, the quoted text comes into your editor already blacked-out. But if you use the quote icon in the reply editor, you’re right, it unblocks the filter.

So far there have been two major issues being discussed in the thread: Lack of drivers and EPA limitations on trucks that can haul things out.

I have no doubt that “union thing” is a third.

1 Like

The “EPA thing” is the EPA enforcing a particular California law. That does not apply to Georgia (or any other state.)

My mistake. Global supply chain. I’m on a phone, I should proofread better.

But ports all over the world are having delays.

The Oakland port in California actually solved their delay issue by hiring more dock workers. So ships going there are waiting the usual time.

Everyone is buying too much stuff, and with a shortage in workers, the ports, and the supply chain in general couldn’t keep up. The amount of containers, and ships, are at record highs, beating out last year’s record highs.

1 Like

True.

But it’s more than just a time issue. I read that the extra shipping distance and the Panama Canal fees (or the Suez fees if the ship in that direction) double the shipping cost.

When do they not? Teachers unions used the Rona to shut down schools for 18 months. They’re in person learning ‘round here and everyone is masked up. What’s the difference between now and a year and a half ago? Other than teachers, school bus drivers, cafeteria and other support staff found other jobs or took early retirement and now the schools are morbidly short staffed across the board and the education experience is a grandiose cluster ■■■■■
Covid deaths with the jab are higher than 2020.
Ponderous no?

Here is a good article: Container ships now piling up at anchorages off China’s ports

Now we’re seeing the opposite,” he said. As ship operators pile more capacity into the trans-Pacific, congestion rises, delays mount, the incentive for shippers to pay premiums is supported, and all-in rates remain at record highs.

According to eeSea, the number of Far East-West Coast services has surged from 48 in January to 67 this month. In contrast, the number of services on this lane stayed fairly steady last year, at 42-46.

Yet another driver of increased trans-Pacific congestion: There are not only more ships, but the ships are getting smaller, meaning that more vessels are needed to carry the same TEUs.

Just a few weeks ago Chinese ports were in worse shape than California ports, may still be, haven’t seen a more recent article.

Demand is just way to high, and it’s become lucrative enough, that there are way more ships in the trade route on the west coast than there used to be.

With the worker shortage, ports in the trans-Pacific route haven’t been able to keep up. From Shanghai to Singapore to California.