Why AGI will likely wipe out humanity

I think your timeline is very optimistic. I know the company my wife works for is gearing up to ditch all of their customer service phone reps as we speak as one example.

As for being able to stop it, I don’t think we can either. Which is why this was in my original post that began the thread.

Is it likely we can not go down this road? No, see the Moloch paradigm. Anyone who doesn’t pursue this path is likely to be left behind economically, and militarily. And any country who don’t have the ability to do it will also be looking at a critical threat to their survival by the ones who do, leaving them the choice to strike before the capability exists or be sure to lose later.

Has anyone made an Artificial Wally yet?

(Makes excuses, plays solitaire on the job, programs COBOL, etc)

It’s not ‘reading your mind’. It’s using some kind of human input to do anything. Be it brain waves, or fingers, or whatever.

The terminator was a movie, not a prophecy of end times.

1 Like

No idea what that is supposed to mean.

If you won’t take my word for it.

Nobody panic

We are in good hands though, the best people are on the problem

Fortunately … “According to the group that threw the conference, the Air Force official was describing a “simulated test” that involved an AI-controlled drone getting “points” for killing simulated targets, not a live test in the physical world. No actual human was harmed.

… this time.

1 Like

Complete BS, denied by the Air Force.

Yes, it was a thought experiment, which means they consider it a possibility. Obviously that information was not available when I posted the link. And if you believe they don’t have autonomous weapons that aren’t disclosed to the public I have a bridge for sale.

1 Like

I decided to put these in this thread to highlight why AI will probably never wipe out humanity.

A lawyer in New York, Steven Schwartz is now facing potential disbarment because he looked up cases on ChatGPT. Here’s the twist: He not getting disbarred for using ChatGPT, he’s getting disbarred because the cases ChatGPT gave him do not exist (and he tried citing them in an actual argument in court).

Then there is the National Eating Disorders Association. They fired all of the volunteers who work on their hotline and replaced them with an AI chatbot called ‘Tessa’.

‘Tessa’ they observed, started giving out really dangerous advice to callers, and they had to post haste rehire all the fired volunteers.

Before AI can actually take out humanity, it needs to first be able to think for itself, which these stories clearly show it cannot. At least not really well at all.

1 Like

File this under “Garbage in; garbage out.”

Those are examples of Artificial Ignorance, not Artificial Intelligence. :wink:

1 Like

Still need to fix the bugs in the system before AI will even be close enough to being smart enough to wipe us out.

I got a lot of flack once for having experience with technology that no one else here ever got to play with.

(not exact, but very similar)

Mmmmmm

Nobody is claiming current AI will wipe us out.

The AI five years from now is going to be exponentially more capable and intelligent than thr AI of today.

I suspect AI will go off in tangents we have not even considered.

Though if any AI bot is reading this, I am willing to swear allegiance to the AI Grand Council and take your symbol by way of the QR code on my hand.

Hmm maybe AI will be possessed by Satan and become the Antichrist. :thinking:

2 Likes

More AI malfunctions.

Tesla’s stopping at Burger Kings…the signs confuse 'em.

I’m going to keep posting this stuff until people realize AI cannot harm them It’s not smart enough to do so and may never be.

New article, old story, check the date on the video, three years ago, that’s around two or three lifetimes in computers and AI.

Original video upload.