Which Bible Do You Like?

Noah may have known the flood was coming because a celestial event/flood had already happened in the past, and he knew what the signs in the sky meant, therefore giving him and his family time to prepare.

Comets appearing in the sky have historically caused mass panic, likely due to a collective trauma in our species’ fragmented history.

I dont understand your point. What about God? Did they just put a random story in the Bible with God randomly being in it, but without any moral input from God.

This is what I am referring to

I’m just looking for clarification about why Noah’s story isnt a story at least partially about the morality of God, if God’s presence in the story is about restoring justice and protecting the just

Isnt there a huge amount of ancient flood stories/myths? Who is that archeologist, thinks Sphynx is 10,000+ years old…thought I remember some talk about old ice ages unfreezing causing huge floods

I believe that was Dr. Robert Schoch, based on the evidence of heavy water erosion surrounding the Sphinx and its enclosure. He has his own hypothesis on what ended the ice age (SIDA, or Solar Induced Dark Age), but I’m more in line with the impact hypothesis.

The heat-energy required to melt the Lorantide ice sheet within 1,400 years didn’t exist on Earth at the time, and there is sedimentary evidence on 5 continents of a ~12,500 year old black mat layer similar to the one that is found at the KT Boundary, plus several recently discovered craters that may also match up with the Younger Dryas Period.

The farther back in history we go, the more tales of floods we find. It’s a distant memory of a collective trauma.

1 Like

Agreed. That is the purpose of the story, to teach the morality of Noah. And as a fable, that’s fine. But as a reality, we certainly have the right to look at ancillary things other than the point of the story and if you do, God doesn’t look very just. Look at the story of Job’s wife for another great example.

And my point was only in recent history have Jews recast the story of Noah as fable, likely because it is a horrific act of God if true.

1 Like

It’s a fascinating topic

1 Like

It sure does call into question whether or not written history began or restarted ~5-6,000 years ago, and whether or not agriculture began or restarted ~10,000 years ago.

I don’t know what sect you are speaking with. What I have heard/learned from my own contacts is that from the beginning the Jews viewed the story as one of man’s morality and God’s justice. Ironically, it seems it is modern day atheists who want to recast the story as scientific fact. In the beginning and on through the ages, it has been the story’s philosophies and lessons that have been scrutinized.

Right, I’m definitely not versed in geology/archaeology but I can imagine various civilizations existing for 8-10,000 years then some cyclical event happens that wipes them out and a new civilization emerges having no knowledge of the last

This makes no sense. Many many many Christian’s believe Noah’s ark is real. Dont play the “it’s just the atheists” game. Creationism is still a large segment of population, about 40% in modern polls, more in polls taken decades ago. Seems like atheism is doing a job convincing people to move AWAY from creationism and taking bible literally.

KJV. But I’m a book nerd so that is to be expected.

Well, that why I posted a link from a Jewish studies source that mentioned how only recently have Jews seen Noah as ahistorical and merely fable.

Many Christians believe many things the majority of Christians do not. This brings us back to my point: Who was the original author, who was the original audience, and what was the message being taught to them? It doesn’t matter if it is atheists or ‘some many’ Christians who do not do their homework. The story remains one whose theme is justice.

Again, not true, not for all sects of Judaism. Many Jews still view it as a story where a lesson is being taught. Which Jewish communities taught the story as scientific fact? Or, have most always view it as merely part of the setting of the story providing the backdrop for the philosophical lessons?

Justice as determined by God. And it is common to believe that our ability to interpret morals are because of God. So the story actually is about God’s morality in the end. Otherwise, how is “justice” asserted? the story is absolutely pointless in the context of the Bible and religion without a claim of Gods morality. Justice IS an aspect of morality

A fun fact on the astronomical portion of this ongoing epic is that around the year 2033, the Earth will be in the exact same spot as it was ~13,000 years ago when this all began.

1 Like

This is a fun fact. Do we also know what was happening on the earth about 26,000 years ago? If we knew that, we might be able to discern a pattern this time around.

1 Like

Do you know how stories are constructed?

About 26,000 years ago, a couple of species of the human genus went extinct (Neanderthal and Denisovan), and we were in the depth of a glacial cycle. Those were dark times, and coincidentally(?), the astronomical age was also Pisces (the Fish), going into the age of Aquarius (the Angel).