When was the last time a Democrat(s) initiated and passed a middle class tax cut?

Funny how The GOP / Trump tax bill targeted states like that for not tax cuts.

Were the tax cuts permanent?

Problem: government activities cost $$. How is the government going to pay for the activities by cutting taxes?

I personally believe in the smallest government possible, so taxes are not as necessary. But I am not a Democrat, who tends to believe in more government.

So don’t expect a D to cut taxes. Expect a D to look for ways to allow government to help the middle class. That takes money.

Actually most NJ residents are benefiting and will benefit even more next year when all the provisions in the tax law take effect. Next my family will benefit by over $4,000.00! The people in NJ who likely will be hurt are single people with very high property taxes.

Lets put it this way.
When was the last time EITHER party put forth a tax cut that did not involve the nonesense of “trickle down” voodoo economics?

The stimulus got 0 GOP votes in the House, but the two GOP Senators from Maine voted for it.

A large part of the MC has a net zero or net negative tax liability already so it’s very hard to cut any more and still have a decent revenue stream.

Those above that line usually end up as being part of the “rich” when you break down what dem’s define as rich today so they oppose such cuts for them.

Taxes seem low across the board. Oughtn’t they be higher instead?

For the middle quintile, the total tax burden is about 25%. It’s not that much.

Cool story, bro……. I’m a family of 4 in North Central NJ. Property taxes [only] 9900.
Already losing 11K in deductions due to SALT cap. Can’t wait to see how much more we’ll benefit.

Speak for yourself, that’s a lot to me. I live in NJ and federal alone is just south of 20%. My property taxes at 7200 is cheap for NJ. Either way, I do not think 25% is not that much. But I easily go over that if you add property, sales, and gas tax.

The opposite of a tax cut is a tax hike.
How would the government confiscating more of my income be helpful to me?

People who receive unemployment benefits are receiving a fraction of their previous income. Food clothing and shelter are daily needs regardless of employment status.

If anything, a person who receives unemployment is going to tighten their belt and only buy bare necessities. If they have savings, they would use that to supplement the loss of income.

1 Like

That does not matter it is about which tool creates more jobs.

Unemployment benefits create more jobs than just slashing tax rates especially when coupled with cutting programs that put money back into the economy.

Payroll tax cuts based on hiring is more ideal.

Unemployment benefits don’t create jobs. People spend less when unemployed so it would tend to have the opposite effect. If you don’t have money, you can’t spend money. If you can’t spend money then stores are not as profitable. If stores are not profitable they look to reduce costs including employees.

If you slash tax rates, the individual has more discretionary income. They can choose to save, invest or purchase more goods and services. If they purchase more goods and services the stores they frequent are more profitable. If the stores are profitable, they increase their overhead and hire more employees to meet the demand.

If you don’t have unemployment benefits then you spend nothing and no demand is created.

If you don’t need the money you put it away and don’t buy anything.

Tax cuts are a gamble that people will spend.

Unemployment you have to spend you get it because it is a need.

The demand is the same, but less is spent. So, there is a domino effect of cut backs to meet less in purchases.

If they don’t have the money there is nothing to spend. They end up begging or using foodbanks.

Now if I have to donate more to food banks I cut back to just essentials when grocery shopping.

How does taking $100 from me to give too someone else to spend $100 grow the economy? (Don’t forget, $10 is siphoned off for administrative costs leaving less for the unemployed to spend)

And the food bank will spend your donation and the grocery store sales remain unchanged. Net effect on the economy is zero.