When a vaccine is viable and available...should the government, either federal or state, mandate it's use?

How does it? If you refuse to vaccinate and infect me, you just made your consequences mine.

I donā€™t think vaccinations can be forced, BUT Employers, colleges, local schools should all require proof of Covid-19 vaccination, or require a good reason why not- like immunosuppression.

Hellā€¦I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve ever truly been an adult?:grin:

1 Like

And I have given that lots of thought lately. I have to protect my wifeā€¦who gets the shots.

1 Like

If we get one that works.

That is also true. Iā€™m speaking more to primary consequences.

They are my primary consequences.

Except you can spread the disease, so itā€™s not just you.

Iā€™m not, to make them free would require forcing doctors into slavery. :wink:

Ok, I donā€™t mind them being government funded. Unlike the funding to Planned Parenthood, it would benefit the citizens.

1 Like

If a non-vaccinated person infects another, thatā€™s a secondary infection and secondary consequence. Pure definition.

Itā€™s my primary consequence.

My guess your local pharmaceutical store can administer your shots and bill the goverment if thatā€™s the route the people choose. Which I wouldnā€™t have a problem with.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrongā€¦I would take the vaccination to prevent non vaccinated people from infecting me.

Isnā€™t that how it works. Not medical expert nor do I pretend to be one.

1 Like

So I see arguments for mandatory vaccines. Just a question and maybe itā€™s not this simple but if the vaccine is effective, me not having the vaccine shouldnā€™t matter to you, right? I do get herd immunity to a degree but where do we draw the line? If an AIDS vaccine came around, should we ALL have to have it regardless of risk? The last time I had a Flu shot, I got sick as hell. While I get they donā€™t use the live virus anymore, I still donā€™t take them and havenā€™t had the Flu since 1990. Our company tried to mandate it but Iā€™m not a huge fan of taking a shot without some damn compelling evidence that itā€™s fixing a real threat. I donā€™t even take pain killers unless thereā€™s a damn good reason.

We should offer training so the man or woman of the house can do it themselves. Itā€™s not magic.

I agree, I was just giving SF grief. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, NO. My wife isnā€™t giving me a shot, no telling WHATā€™s going to be in that damn thing!!

3 Likes

As one of the people here who is wary of big government, I would prefer to see an incentive systemā€¦ with health care premiums/copays adjusted to account for healthier lifestyle choices (such as being vaccinated).

The flaw in this reasoning is that the COVID pandemic is falling disproportionately on those unlikely to have health insurance ā€“ in particular people in poorly compensated service jobs. Iā€™m not sure how to invent their participation, or even overcome fear of seeking preventive treatment because of potential cost.

The issue how people in those jobs are compensated and insured are serious matters but should be the subject of a different thread.

Yes thatā€™s possibility too. But Iā€™m sure their is lots of red tape and other regulations that will prevent it. :wink:

1 Like

My niece would administer the shots around my family. I trust her. Giving myself a shot? Iā€™m not sure I can do thatā€¦but again I do stitch myself up. But I never stuck a needle into my self. I do cut open large splinters before to dig them out.

1 Like