When a vaccine is viable and available...should the government, either federal or state, mandate it's use?

Individual vs. Collective

Like I said.

For the good of the collective, individual rights should be upheld. Where is the dilemma.? Should the government be entitled to take one of your kidneys without your consent, for the common good of saving those with no working kidney?

1 Like

Thanks.

yes, but what about adults?

I donā€™t get the flu vaccine, because I donā€™t get the fluā€¦like twice since I was 20. I am 54 now. I figure, if I donā€™t get it, with all my exposure to others, why should I waste a dose on myself.

And the best question is this:

Will the Covid-19 vaccine be like some and a one and done with maybe a booster when your older, or will it be like the Flu and you need a shot every year?

I have been trying to figure that out myself. I think it would depend on the variability of the virus. Does the strain very from year to year. or does it basically stay the same?

No, and thereā€™s a massive difference between losing a kidney and getting a shot.

Yours is the reasoning of the anti-vaxxer apologists who brought back measles. If I have to wear pants in public (which costs me time and money), you have to get your vaccines.

1 Like

I donā€™t know, I wasnā€™t an adult back then. I donā€™t remember if the Army did or not.

To protect the flock.

It will be like the flu and like the flu, effectiveness will vary.

I guess you could round up all the people who refuse and put them in quarantine camps. Kidding.

If you could find a way to remove the burden of the voluntarily non-vaccinated on those that have, Iā€™d be in favor of that. If you choose not to get vaccinated and become ill with the disease it was meant to protect, thatā€™s on you. You can get better, or not, at home. Minors and those with medical reasons not to be vaccinated would be exempt.

Thatā€™ll never happen but hey, choose not to be vaccinated, choose to live with the consequences.

But thatā€™s not the flockā€™s purpose, is it?

I donā€™t think a school has the authority to give students a vaccine without parental permission.

1 Like

Should I have to live with your consequences?

1 Like

They can deny entry.

Ahh, as in, ā€œyou refuse to vaccinate your children, then they cannot attend public school?ā€

2 Likes

If I voluntarily put myself at otherwise avoidable risk, I do not believe anyone but me is responsible for a bad outcome. If a competent (legal definition) adult puts themself at risk, it is their responsibility to manage the outcome. This does not apply to all situations, I realize that. This is one in which I personally believe it does.

Yes. Thatā€™s the way it worked when my kids were in school.

Yes. Denial of access can be a powerful tool.