What's the thrill in blowgun hunting?

I was browsing the Cabela’s website today and saw that they’re selling blowguns designed for hunting.

Apparently the big thing is to kill squirrels with these things.

And I’m thinking - what the heck?

Anyone here hunt with a blowgun? What’s the attraction?

The added thrill/risk of inadvertently inhaling when your prey is suddenly in sight.

Haven’t played with one of those since I was a kid. Used to practice with squirrels trying to raid the bird feeders.

Hopefully hunters have better darts than I did.

A sewing needle taped to a toothpick flies more true than you could believe out of a drinking straw and is great for hunting siblings when you are a preteen or thereabouts.

Heard it from a friend………………….:sunglasses:

The “thrill” comes after the successful hunt when they chase you all the way around the block with deadly anger.

3 Likes

Can’t speak for others but as a ninja it is required even though I find it one of the least effective weapons at our disposal.:wink:

We used to play cricket with them in college.

As in shooting crickets with them? You had better aim than I did. lol

No cricket…three dart scores on 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15 and bullseye.

It’s a dart game. British game.

Lot’s of hunters that really want to get in touch with their primal side are using primitive means from blow guns, to spears, to dogs and knives, bows, crossbows, muzzle loading firearms, you name it.

If you have a problem with small varmints and predators in an urban or suburban setting I guess the blowgun would be a good option.

We used to make blowguns out of straws. We’d use stick pins fletched with thread.

Damned things were pretty effective on teenage boys when the teacher’s back was turned.

I would think that all liberals would favor blowguns, since blowhards excel at blowguns.

AMAZING little things lol

Somehow we never killed anyone or even put an eye out but damn, they hurt.

Kinda puts those memes that say I survived growing up in the sixties (riding a bike with no helmet etc.) to shame.

Not to mention steel dashboards and no head liners or seat belts.

Our 4-H Rifle Team looked like the Rat Patrol Riding through town on our bikes with our rifles slung over our backs and baskets full of ammo, targets, shooting pads.

The rifle range was a mile north of town and we met three afternoons a week yet somehow we managed not to shoot up the town or kill each other.

We used to walk to a neighbors house, a local cop, with seven or eight kids with rifles and he would take us target shooting and teach us safety stuff.

1 Like

I don’t doubt it. Up until the ant gun movement that really peaked in the seventies and eighties a whole lot of schools had rifle, pistol, and skeet/trap clubs.

Using a knife to stab an animal to death? That is primal. Those guys should just see a psychiatrist.

I’m not against hunting - although I don’t care for bow hunting and the idiots who wound an animal but don’t bother to track it down to end its suffering.

But a blow gun and squirrels…:roll_eyes:

Do people not buy and sell squirrel pelts in your area?

They may do, but I’m not aware of it.

It’s Cheyenne and they’re big into hunting here…so I suppose it’s probable. :smile: