What would you do to protect your stuff?

So, you come home with you spouse after being out and as you enter your house, someone is climbing out a window carrying something of value to you. You’re armed and tell the thief to stop, he ignores you and continues his getaway. Do you shoot or let him go?

Here in Texas he has a very bad day if caught in my house.

6 Likes

From what I understand if someone is exiting your home and you shoot them you may have a hard time claiming it was justified.

Depends on the state. As above, Texas burglars are in peril.

Looked like he was reaching for something when I told him to stop. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Drag the body back in the house and drop a kitchen knife next to it.

10 Likes

He will not have a good time.

Depending on what I’m carrying at the time he will either get the feeling of 9mm or .357 magnum.

Either way, he’s in for a bad time.

2 Likes

Stuff? Let him go. Stuff is stuff. Not worth taking a life or seriously harming someone over.

1 Like

Once upon a time I had to go through a safety course to get licensed to drive California State vehicles.
The CHP Officer talked about some California State Laws. He said that if you shoot someone in your house and that person walks into your yard and collapses you need to drag his ass back into your house to avoid being arrested. He also said that other states have different laws.

When I moved to Texas there was a situation where a guy was breaking into the front living room window.
As soon as he got inside the home owner emptied a 13 round, 9mm clip. Hit the guy 12 times. The next day the local television guy was interviewing the cop in charge. The TV guy asked him if he thought that emptying the clip was excessive force. And the cop said; “Nope”.

2 Likes

You get what you vote for.

It’s obvious that Califs want it the way it is there.

Exiting the house? He was clearly entering the house.

4 Likes

Lets be honest all this tough talk is just that. Modern day forensics can say a heck of a lot. Though I get Texas is a bit different.

Aa someone else said stuff is not worth killing someone for. I can understand if your life is in danger or your family is threatened thats different.

One difference I found when I moved to Texas. Here a guy shot another guy who was breaking into his truck. He shot him and it was considered a good shoot. In Texas your vehicle is considered part of your house if it is parked in the driveway. That would not fly in California.

Yeah i just read that. Interesting.

First of all, he wasn’t exiting the house…he was climbing into the window backwards.

…and he had a kitchen knife.

5 Likes

17 Likes

A home invasion is inherently life threatening.

4 Likes

I’m not religious. Your point?

Said home invader would get a warning assuming they are exiting. What happens after that is entirely up to them based on what they try to do.

If they are actively breaking in while I’m there, they aren’t getting a warning.

That’s not the scenario described in the OP.

A home invasion occurred.

Coming up on the immediate aftermath is still life threatening for the home owner. Because such criminals tend to be entirely unpredictable.

Recent case here is a good example. Two guys were going out to a hunting cabin. Basically an old house trailer moved into the depths of their property. Had a few rifles and hunting revolvers stored inside in locked cabinets.

They go out there to get a few things. They come up on a guy who had just broke in and stole a rifle and a handgun.

They start to move back to their truck to get their pistols (should have been carrying; that was their big mistake). Criminal moves quickly to his car he arrived in. He gets into his car first, grabs an AR (later found to be stolen from someone else), and brandishes it. They stop moving.

Fortunately for the two men (one was in his 60s and the other in his 40s) the criminal didn’t have murder on the mind. He gets in his car and speeds off. He’s arrested a few days later for a home invasion.