What would the Founders be more upset about; a Vice President's son getting a sweetheart lucrative business deal with a foreign government or a president wanting to look into such a situation?

The propensity for foreign aid money finding its way to a politician’s son through this whole affair is what I find concerning.

Setting aside the evidence (or lack of) in this case, would you consider withholding Congressionally approved funds as leverage to convince a foreign government to start an investigation into the president’s top political opponent to be a high crime and misdemeanor?

I find that idea disturbing too. It’s actually possible to think neither Trump nor Biden are fit for office. I wish more people would try it.

I think that the Founders would have so much trouble getting their minds wrapped around the foreign aid situation. (“The US got HOW big?!? and sent money to WHERE?!?”)
I think that any current situation regarding foreign policy is so different from the founder’s vision for the US, that their opinions about it are worthless. (Other than a rhetorical hijacking of "the holy founders by a current faction.)

1 Like

No. It is almost a mirror of what Trump’s opponents have been doing to him since even before the election. Requesting assistance from foreign government in investigating Trump was done by Mueller from numerous foreign countries. Clearly, Trump being the opposition has not stopped Democrats from wanting him investigated many times.
As far as using leverage, the only problem is if the GAO is correct and his actions didn’t conform to budget laws. However, that is a civil, not a criminal, law, and I do not consider impeachment a reasonable outcome for noncompliance.
That, of course, is for the Senate to decide.

1 Like

Pelosi failed at this the other day, you need to under stand the difference between us and me, don’t let the retards who don’t know the difference influence you.

Personally I wouldn’t use the word retard.

This doesn’t affect my post in the slightest.

For your particular grievances listed here I don’t think it’s quite the right question. And the answer I don’t know.

The question should be:

1. would that money have been spent at other venues? If yes. No foul.
  2. is more or less being charged to the govt than if it was held at other venues? I.e. is the govt paying an inflated price? If no, no foul.

But if either of those go the other way, then yes I see an issue with it.

They’d most certainly be more concerned about the president using the power of his office to put pressure on a foreign power to influence out elections by announcing an investigation into his chief political opponent. Especially when doing so puts our national interests at jeopardy.

I think you forgot about Jared and Ivanka.

I disagree. The issue isn’t "Is the tax payer get fair value’? The issue is “Is a publicly elected official using his office to enrich himself?” Because if they are, you could call into question their motivations for official decisions.

For example:

I’m POTUS Trump. This weekend I could a) Go play golf at my own resort, earning me $X in profit. Now, That is a fair price for my outing, and not at all exorbitant for a presidential outing, and if it wasn’t at my place, and I played golf, $X would go to a different resort.

But perhaps I also could do b) Meet with congress to hash out an alternative to the ACA, which I promised america.

Or I could do c) meet with mexico to deal with immigratiom

Or d) Meet with my security council to discuss xyz.

But I choose to do A.

Did I choose that because these other things were being handled in due course. Or did I choose A because it puts money in my pocket?

1 Like

That’s a fair point. I might have to reconsider my position some.

That is not how conflict of interest laws work. Not even close

Based on the domestic trips of every single past President? It’s more, lots more

Its not about impropriety its about the appearance of impropriety.

Interesting words. How do they work regarding sons getting employed by all the countries a VP is supposed to be setting policy for?

Same as above reply.

Sorry but I do not support nepotism of any flavor but the unfortunate reality is that its not illegal

Can you explain how that is different than the President’s daughter being granted dozens of patents she has no qualifications for by the country her dad was negotiating a trade deal with?

I think the Founders would be extremely upset about the possibility of a Presidential candidate that could possibly win and could also be subject to blackmail by a foreign country, ie Joe Biden by Ukraine and Hillary Clinton by Russia, both had unethical and lucrative dealings with both those countries.

President Trump had no dealings of any kind with any country so I’d say the Founding Fathers are resting peacefully while the Democrats are nailing their own coffins.