What would the Founders be more upset about; a Vice President's son getting a sweetheart lucrative business deal with a foreign government or a president wanting to look into such a situation?

I’ve been trying to look at this question of impeachment from different perspectives. I’m no fan of Trump and I was no fan of Obama either. So had this been Jeb Bush’s son and Obama did what Trump did how would I feel? Being that I have such a Libertarian streak in me I personally would applaud Obama for doing that and don’t think I would support him being impeached for it. That’s just me though. So as I have been thinking about the question of “high crimes and misdemeanors” I began thinking about how the Founders would be looking at this situation? I can’t imagine they would be thrilled with politicians and their family being enriched by corrupt foreign governments. I would have to imagine they would find that appalling. Regarding a president looking into such a situation I would have to think they would want that. So I guess the question would center around how they view foreign aid?

What do others think about this question?

2 Likes

We have ways of looking into corruption. It doesnt entail the president sending some random guys over there to dig around and socialize with Ukrainians.

3 Likes

A president looking into such a situation for purely personal and political reasons.

2 Likes

IF the president wanted to sniff out corruption, which he didn’t, he goes to our agencies. He doesn’t call the head of a foreign country and ask them to do it for us. A “favor”. Lol.

6 Likes

Would the Founders be all right with the President’s unqualified children being given influential roles in the Executive branch…some of the duties which resulted in clear conflicts of interest?

Would they have liked the President giving his lawyer’s son a cushy job for which he had zero qualifications?

1 Like

The president…cares deeply…about corruption…

The president…makes sure…his family…isn’t profiting…off his presidency…

7 Likes

They would be more shocked a Black man was elected President.

8 Likes

that’s not what happened.

Yeah… the guy who just had to pay New York state for corrupt practices in his own foundation (which was also forced to shut down) deeply cares about corruption. Give me a break, even the most loyal of Trump supporters know how full of ■■■■ the guy is.

2 Likes

My purpose here was more of a thought exercise of the founders view of “high crimes and misdemeanors” with regard to this situation.

1 Like

Are you ■■■■■■■ kidding me? Didn’t Ivanka get patents from China while daddy sits on his golden toilet tweeting? Dues at Mar-a-lago goes from $100,000 - $200,000. That’s not profiting? He failed to divest himself from his businesses. Oh and then there’s his hotels.

He doesn’t give a damn about his presidency; only to make money.

4 Likes

And withholding taxpayer funds in lieu of an “announcement” to be used for political gain.

1 Like

You sure you want to have this conversation? Given the Founders’ well known views on maladministration and abuse of office for personal gain?

2 Likes

Stealing money from Kids with Cancer is the American way.

3 Likes

LOL!

Hunter is a chump. Ivanka got dozens of trademarks from China worth millions! Jared is doing deals with SA royalty. Trump Hotel Washington is booming as foreign officials want to curry favor with the president. Guillani’s son has a $160K a year job in the WH! How do ou think he got that???

AND, the POTUS is charging the US tax payer for hotel rooms for secret service, cart rentals for the security detail every time he plays golf, food bills, catering bills, construction costs, all associated with visits to the clubs he owns!

Hunter…hunter is piker compared to the grifter in chief and his crooked family.

4 Likes

The founders would have impeached trump the minute he failed to divest himself from his interests, and started charging the tax payers money for using his own properties.

4 Likes

At this point I would like to propose a sticky Thread called Groundhog Day wherein @Jezcoe @JayJay and @toreyj01 simply copy their posts and people can refer them to those posts.

Who is with me.

8 Likes

The Founders were a group of landholders and most were slave owners. They would fully have expected the children of privilege to take advantage of that situation. Hunter did. So did Ivanka, when she got a dozen or more Chinese trademarks for businesses she knew nothing about – like selling pork products.

So what? You think this starts or stops with one board seat at Burisma.

Children of privilege have advantages. Get over it.

1 Like

And yet not one of you on this board has made a post or thread about Rick perry and his sweet heart deal.
It’s the same ■■■■■■■ thing as hunter and not a peep

I’ll trade you hunter for perry any day…but you wont…because the reality is you dont care

2 Likes

Well you certainly threw out the chum for the trump hater libs here. Yuk.