What Should Guide (inform for the Crits) Public Policy

But what’s the end results?

What kind of morals that one would have if they deny your right to free speech? Religion? right to defend oneself? or be violated without due process?

For me those that deny those basic freedoms are morally flawed.

2 Likes

Darwinism is an interesting mention. Notice how it has evolved and even dropped his name. I don’t know how we can source morality from evolution?

Is there more evidence that Jesus lived or that man evolved (devolved) from apes?

The morality that tells you they are flawed, where did it come from?

By the way, when I say “religion”, it is not only Christianity. All religions are sources of morality.

It’s kind of like what I called previously “culture generators.”

I’m looking for morality generators.

“Science” is definitely not a morality generator.

Good question…but maybe my understanding of natural world. Notice I said my understanding.

But then you have those that demand to rule…question is is that natural? My guess you can claim it, for those that believe themselves to be above it.

Well we are both westerner Americans. So for most of us westerners of American descent our moral core is based on a number of things. Plato, Aristotle, the New Testament, the Magna Carta, the English Bill of Rights, the Virginia Bill of Rights, the Constitution. These things had huge influences on our thought processes. It’s part of why we prioritize what we prioritize. Like the ideal of fundamental rights gifted by the God of Nature.

For someone with no exposure to that frame of reference, they probably think it doesn’t make any sense.

I don’t think so. Who rules in the “natural world”? Is not not the strongest, fastest or luckiest?

Or is it the most moral?

Those who demand to rule, do they not claim moral superiority?

One a personal level, I feel there is evidence of both Christ and that we share some sort of ancestor with the other great apes. We are too similar to our ape cousins for it just to mean nothing in my view of the world. Now whether that was evolution or because God just found it convenient for our fundamental design is a question I cannot answer. And I won’t attempt to.

And I fully believe Christ lived not because of faith. But because of how history changed during and after His life. It’s not a myth to me.

Are those things completely different things from completely different sources? Or derivitive of the first in your list?

What morality did we take from them?

Evidence is a tricky thing.

Fair enough.

I would say they all share a basis in New Testament theology. Which has its roots among both the Aramaics and the Greeks.

As for the Greeks, the very idea that men can be free.

1 Like

Religious tenants are some of the earliest foundations for moral codes. But Sharia law is not in the Koran. It is a combination of the Koran and the Hadiths, assembled into a code after Mohamad’s death and interpreted by religious scholars, empowered to issue moral opinions. But rejection of those tenants are also a common source of modern moral codes.

1 Like

Mmmmm. I shall ponder on that.

As for the Greeks, some men can be free.

Which tenets and how so?

Redefining marriage, ownership of property, life itself…

I don’t understand what you are saying.

They can demand but doesn’t make it so. They’re not Gods.

2 Likes

This is just me thinking out loud, but maybe all of this is because we haven’t changed that much since we first walked upright. We are still creating our own ideas of God to justify what we do as humans. We used to sacrifice animals to the Sun and the Moon because we believed it purified them. Maybe we are still doing the same thing over and over again.

The Mandate of Heaven…

1 Like