What percent of public mask wearing is actually effective?

Absolutely not! I do not want to know what they do or do not do. I prefer to enjoy my meal assuming everything is perfect.

1 Like

I got you, fam - here’s the Brown study he references, along with a couple of quotes.

In Figure 4a we see higher staff COVID-19 rates in areas without mask mandates for either students or staff. Student COVID-19 rates do not appear to vary with mask mandates.

The results in Figure 4b are similar, although we find that the differences for staff are not significant once we adjust for community rates and other demographics. Community case rates appear to be higher in areas without mask mandates in schools, likely reflecting a lack of mask mandates in general.

The regressions in Table 2 are consistent with the figures; staff rates are slightly higher in areas without any mask mandates, but these results are not significant at conventional levels and are small.

It is important to note that this does not imply masks are ineffective, as these results focus only on masking in schools and do not take community behavior into consideration. Additionally, as noted above, we focus only on mask mandates and not actual masking behavior.

We caution that our analysis focuses only on correlations and it is challenging to make causal statements. In the case of masking in particular, we focus on mandates and not on actual behavior. Masking is likely correlated with mask mandates, but it is also likely that some individuals mask even in the absence of a mandate and that there is imperfect compliance even with a mandate. In addition, while we control for community rates, we do not control for community mitigation practices, which would also impact behavior and rates in schools.

If you’re interested in additional research:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6546/1092

the study is linked in several threads here.

1 Like

I wanted to post this again because I wanted to ask again if anyone has considered this or know of any studies that have done any test along these lines?

A cloth mask is probably effective if you’re walking past someone close by until you’re out of range. But if you’re indoors for extended periods of time, laughing, talking, coughing, it’s pretty much going to be useless against a virus with an RO of 6 or 7.

When I worked in road maintenance they actually made you shave and fitted the mask to your face using some attachment and a computer program that could see if it wasn’t a perfect fit. Why would they waste their money? Just give me a cloth mask.

Except gaiters.

Gaiters actually spread the virus.

How?

Your conclusions from reading are accurate!

As a former firefighter, and one who paid close attention to hazardous material training and standard operating procedures, I can personally state, without any reservations, that the masks currently in use [excluding the N95] for Covid protection are ineffective with respect to aerosols, and, to the best of my knowledge, is the most common method of covid transmission. At best, they may reduce the distance somewhat which the covid virus may travel from an infected carrier to others. In fact, they give the wearer a false sense of security.

All those nitwits who are hysterically engaged in demanding children ware masks in school, ought to look at themselves in the mirror and see the fool they really are.

If they really want to get engaged in a productive way to fight the current pandemic, they should do something about the Democrat Party Leadership’s Covid Super Spreader originating at our nation’s southern border which is introducing dangerous variants of the Covid virus.

Not only is the Biden Administration releasing covid carrying foreigners into America’s interior, but those released have come from many countries including China, Bangladesh, Turkey, Egypt, Nigeria, Kenya, and various other countries where there are outbreaks of variants of COVID -19, and are now being introduced into our country’s interior because the Biden Administration is intent on filling our country with the world’s poverty stricken, poorly educated, low skilled, diseased, disabled and criminal populations of other countries.

See More than 1,500 coronavirus-positive migrants released in one week into Texas border town
August 4, 2021

”MCALLEN, Texas — A border city in south Texas declared a local disaster this week as it struggles to respond to surging cases of the coronavirus among migrants as thousands are released by the Border Patrol onto the street every week.

Last week, a record-high 7,000 migrants were released in downtown McAllen, where they were immediately tested for the coronavirus through a city contractor. More than 1,500 people tested positive over the past seven days, according to a city document issued Wednesday, compared to a total of 7,000 confirmed cases over the past five months. Those who test positive are told to quarantine for two days but are ultimately released into the public.”

The question is, is the Biden Administration guilty of giving aid and comfort to hundreds of thousands of Covid infected foreigners swarming across our border?

JWK

The Democrat Party Leadership, once an advocate for hard working American citizens and their families, is now their worst nightmare.

1 Like

Here is a large recent study that shows that mask wearing is effective in reducing the transmission of respiratory diseases

I bet Fauci knew this in March 2020. I did.

It wasn’t determined in March 2020 that Covid was respiratory.

You just posted that.

Study was for medical masks, not cloth masks.

3 Likes

That was next.

from your article: The same researchers found previously that droplets of saliva can travel 18 feet in five seconds when an unmasked person coughs, so masks are important.

I know that

I get sick with a runny nose every winter. Last winter, I didn’t get sick. Was it because of mask wearing? Likely so.

Masks are about as effective as bullet proof vests. Obviously lots of policemen and soldiers get killed despite wearing them, but they definitely save lives.

1 Like

Arguing about having a physical barrier over your face holes to prevent respiratory disease is just wild.

1 Like

I dunno they’ve been right about so much regarding COVID why wouldn’t we believe them now.

1 Like

So an intentional deflection?

1 Like