What percent of public mask wearing is actually effective?

I worked in the paint industry for a while. Various organic solvents are volatile and aggressive.

99% of public mask wearing on the evening of October 31 is actually effective

for bags of candy anyway…

1 Like

For true?

Did not know that.

1 Like

Here’s something along the lines of what I was looking for:

Basically if someone with COVID, even with a mask on, is coughing repeatedly around you, you will be exposed to COVID.

You wouldn’t mind then if people cooking your food feel the same way about washing their hands,wearing gloves,

They need freedom too.

If were to start getting sick the restaurant could get sued and/or lose lots of customers.

This statement is not at all reflective of the contents of your link.

1 Like

That would seem to be the most logical conclusion from the following statement:

"The same researchers found previously that droplets of saliva can travel 18 feet in five seconds when an unmasked person coughs, so masks are important. However, repeated coughs are likely to reduce their effectiveness, the experts found in the new study, using computer models."

Perhaps I could have injected the word likely, but it doesn’t clarify if the coughs are 5 minutes apart or 5 seconds apart. I assumed 5 seconds. Tell me would you be comfortable being next to a person who’s COVID positive and hacking away even if they were wearing a mask?

1 Like

Paul Fürst, engraving, c. 1721, of a plague doctor of Marseilles (introduced as ‘Dr Beaky of Rome’). His nose-case is filled with herbal material to keep off the plague.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paul_Fürst,

When in Rome…

How? How does that imply what you said?

Of course not, but I’m never particularly comfortable standing next to someone in the midst of a coughing fit, unless we happen to be standing around in a loose circle at the time.

Absolutely. In discussing the value of face masks we need to look at what people are doing, not at what the ideal would be. Carrying around disease laden rags on their face is reality for some.

1 Like

There was a doctor on the tube today who said that everyone needs to up their game to N95 masks. He was not impressed with the usage of cloth masks against the new variants. And he warned that when purchasing them online the buyer needs to take care and order approved masks. He said that there were a number of sub-par masks out there being sold as N95.

They have been a few people wearing plague suits it seems it has been creeping out some in the public.

1 Like

You better get one. FAST!

Define a goal and we are getting serious about this virus.

I can speak for myself and others I know, the N95 mask is difficult to breathe in. I’ve tried it numerous times and can only tolerate it for a few minutes.

As someone who spent half his life in food service, you don’t want to know how many food workers do neither. Or how many add extra seasoning you don’t want to know about if they are mad. I try to stick to restaurants with open kitchen plans when I dine out.

In many cases these “doctors” were not experienced physicians or surgeons; instead, being volunteers, second-rate doctors, or young doctors just starting a career.[6] In one case, a plague doctor was a fruit salesman before his employment as a physician. Plague doctors rarely cured patients; instead serving to record death tolls and the number of infected people for demographic purposes.[4]

Sounds about right.

2 Likes

Ron DeSantis was talking about the efficacy of masks in Florida schools and made the comment that there was no appreciable difference between the schools in Florida that had masks vs those that didn’t mask. Does anyone have information on this?

I wear mine like this. Only a little lower. Is this effective?
:grin:

1 Like