What Exactly Is "Heaven"?

The afterlife doesnt seem to be discussed much in terms of its actual qualities. What exactly is heaven? Some say it is being “with God”. At the same time, claim that God is incomprehensible.

Are we human like in heaven? Can we talk to God in heaven? Can I still watch NFL in heaven?

We’re going to be so busy singing and praising God that there won’t be any time for anything else. It’ll kind of be like Church, but without the sermon, and it lasts forever.

2 Likes

I wouldnt mind having eternally good health, the ability to forget something by pushing a button, and still be a human, wake up every day eat food do the naughty then go to sleep. Basically fulfill my animal instincts with no consequence. And have time, resources and health to do what I want. But that kind of power would be sort of terrifying. Being human is pretty cool when everything is going well

Why? We create this reality every day.

So when Jesus tell us that he would not drink of the fruit of the vine until he joins us drinking in his father’s kingdom he was just speaking metaphorically?

I’m in trouble. For me, the homily is something to which I very much look forward. And…I cannot sing. I much prefer the homilies over singing. Any chance of us being able to quietly listen to Jesus speak?

Why would we have human form? What age would we look like?

What kind of afterlife does a child who died at 6 months have? Does he stay 6 mo in appearance? What kind of mind would that soul have since it didn’t develop at all on earth? Do we choose what age we look?

You could always learn to play the harp. You would have enough time over the course of eternity.

3 Likes

Sigh. I have had a small harp for years. The only songs almost recognizable are Row Your Boat and Jingle Bells. Hearing them makes my daughters giggle.

You have no idea what it is like. After the birth of my first child, I heroically sang her lullabies because I knew that is what good mothers did. As the little thing grew, I could hardly wait for her first words, as she always looked like she was trying hard to say something. She was. Her first words? Not ma-ma or da-da. They were, “Don’t sing.” When I told my husband, his response: “I’m surprised she knew that’s what you were doing.”

There are enumerable forms you might be drawn to according to your karmic proclivities and predilections.

It may not be " heaven". This world has lots of hardship, pain and suffering. Even most “heavens” are Transient and binds you deeper to the wheel of birth and death. All beings are blown by the wind of their own karma they created, they deepen their habits and dig deeper creodes.

1 Like

Did you watch the Supernatural series it is on its last season 15 they lay it out pretty well.

That was a crap sack.

Season 2-5 was good imho, after that it was difficult to watch season 11 was the only one after 5 I thought was solid. But I can’t help it I’m a fan :slight_smile:

A musician dies and goes to heaven.

After St. Peter lets him in he hears great music.

He heads toward it a sees about 20 past music greats all jamming on stage. After the set he asks Jimmy Hendrix about the gig.

Jimmy says “hey man, this is great, it’s Heaven!” “All the best equipment, the the stage is great, the food is great, the audience is great.” He adds, “There’s only one problem. God has girlfriend who thinks she can sing.”

1 Like

I struggle with the concept of “pure being” after this state of “Is.”

Scripture speaks of heaven as the place where birds fly. That word ‘heaven’ is also translated as sky, where there is the atmosphere.

Another heaven mentioned in Scripture is what we call outer space where the stars and planets are. “It shall be established for ever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.” Psalms 89

These two heavens mentioned are in the physical realm that can be seen with our physical eyes.

Then there is mention of “the third heaven” also called the ‘heaven of heavens.’ Deuteronomy 10 “Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the LORD’s thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is.”

“But will God indeed dwelll on he earth? Behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded.” 1 Kings 8

“But who is able to build him an house, seeing the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain him? Who am I then, that I should build him an house save only to burn sacrifice before him.” 2 Chron 2

God is Spirit. God dwells in the Spiritual realm. We cannot see the spiritual realm with our physical eye, but when our physical body dies we are given a body that God chooses that will never die.

I believe God dwells with His children in Spirit while we are on earth. We can talk to God when we want to, He expects it.

Peter said Jesus had “gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.” 1 Peter 3

God’s children are heirs with Christ in the Family of God.

Romans 8:16 “it is the Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.”

The Middle Way, would say, “neither being, nor non-being.”. In meditation that is an important way to carry thought, to cut off outflows.

1 Like