What are the biggest advantages/disadvantages…

Disbelief in Santa is not a worldview. That’s the point.

What do you think a worldview is? There are various Christian worldviews, but they all have certain commonalities, one of which is that there is a personal Creator. There are various atheist worldviews with certain commonalities, one of which is that there is no personal Creator.

So, do none of these questions arise in your consciousness? Do you have no interest in potential answers to these questions? Are you completely at peace without any desire to find answers to any of these questions? Namely :-

" What is the meaning of life? What am I living for ? and why am I living for that? How can I be satisfied in a world that is constantly taking away the things I appreciate? What is true freedom? and can I be truly free? Who and what is my identity? Do I have any value? What kind of self do I need to be to live in harmony with others? Is there hope for me? What is morally good and bad? Do humans have rights? Or do they only have privileges bestowed upon them by their human overlords?

Many of these questions are answerable on an individual basis and you will get varying answers depending on who you ask.

Of course, but can those questions be answered in a logically coherent way if one begins from an atheist worldview which precludes the existence of a Creator?

Likely you would get various answers, mostly personal, to this question.

Of course. What’s yours?

Hmmm. You’ll have to define what you mean by logically coherent.

Atheism is part of a world view but not one in itself.

I doubt this is true for most. Think about it for a bit. When something is going on in their lives, atheists are of the mind that it falls on their shoulders to fix it, change it, get through it, get over it. There is no assurance that however bad it gets, Someone has their back and that it will be all right.

Atheists, as much as anyone–perhaps more–are focused on self-reliance, and are cognizant that it is up to them to uphold their own values, whatever those values may be. As we all do, any ‘voids’ are filled by seeking out family, friends, success, and love–not things.

You are majoring on minors.

How about you tell us your atheist- grounded answer to one of the questions I listed, and we’ll see if your answer is logically defensible when one assumes atheism.

I have listened to atheists:

1. The meaning of life is what I put into it, because what I put into it, is what I get back.

2. I am living for that because I enjoy watching and participating in life.

3. Don’t ignore reality. Yes, things are lost, but things come your way as well. Enjoy receiving, but truly let go of what is lost. Don’t go chasing after it.

4. True freedom is to never waste free time. Do something with it, be something during it.

5. I am and can be what I make of myself. I am valuable to my friends, my colleagues, my employer, and especially to my family.

6. I accept myself and others as they are. I am watchful of people in power and stay out of their way. Should they ever grab so much power as to stand in my way, I will push back. Hard. They will wish they had not.

1 Like

You don’t need a God to answer any of those unless you need your meaning dictated to you, which is pretty lame.

But ya we all see your “Atheists lives are meaningless” arrogance on display

Such a Christian, loving, non judgemental post.

1 Like

You “doubt” it? it’s just not true at all…

Since I’m not an atheist I can’t.

Existentialists from all walks of life have been philosophizing on that for many centuries. Like Sartre, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Marcel, Jaspers,…

I haven’t said atheists’ lives are meaningless.
I didn’t say you need a God to answer those questions. I am interested in any answers you might have to any of those questions, and whether your answers are logically coherent.

Are you secure enough in your faith in atheism to prefer your answer to even one of those questions?

So, which answers do you agree with?

From your present perspective, whatever that might be do you have any suggested answers to any of those questions?