What are the biggest advantages/disadvantages…

Ok. Do you think humans need a god to teach them to treat others well?

Many humans can be inspired by the ideal, to let go of the “good enough” and strive for excellence and perfection. Humans fail, they weaken, they decay, they die–that is simple reality. In some ways, humans can be too tender-hearted, reassuring everyone that mediocrity is just fine, that less than mediocre is fine as well. What is great about God is that He has expectations–and they are quite high.

I think it is a wash. I see mediocrity on both sides. I see excellence on both sides.

What does God expect exactly? It looks like He accepts a lot of sin but as long as you accept Jesus as your personal savior it all ends up all right.

That is hard to say.

I only have my experience to guide me to what I feel is the best for me.

As I am sure all others have their experiences that guide them.

It is hard to categorize any of it as an advantage or a disadvantage because that is a matter of value and value is subjective to each individual.

The easiest example to think of is someone having been taken advantage of under the auspice of faith - financially, emotionally, sexually.

Jesus once said that his disciples have to be as harmless as doves and as wily as the fox. We are taught to be loving, trusting, and forgiving. As you point out, there can be a definite downside to that. What can be done to strengthen the one without weakening the other?

Someone :wink: indicated earlier that God should accept a lot of sin so that people don’t become filled with self-loathing.

Faith introduces us to the dichotomy of human existence. We are a holy people…we are a sinful people. I would say anyone who follows Jesus’ Way (Turn away from sin for the forgiveness of sin; do the will of God and love Him; love one another as we love ourselves) it will turn out all right.

I didn’t say god should do anything. I made an observation about sin. Further, atheists aren’t saddled with thinking humans have original sin and constantly being told how awful humans are.

1 Like

Yeah. When I sat down to really examine the faith I was raised in, I could just not wrap my head around original sin.

I can’t really think of any “big” advantages other than I dont spend time trying to rationalize (what I think are) untruths. Disadvantages? Can’t think of any…

What are the biggest advantages/disadvantages of having faith that Santa Claus exists? Of rejecting that belief?

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

What is so difficult to understand about man being born with a propensity for disobedience?

Its not all sunshine and lollipops being an atheist. Religious people typically live longer as well as being happier on pretty much every survey, study, or poll. Those are two huge things that suck in the non believing corner I am in.

This is at the personal level as a society it’s not a 100% what the west will turn into post religion as new religions are already forming to take there place.

It also sucks that religious people tend to be more charitable. I am not cheering the decline of religion especially Christianity like some of the other non believers on here. There is no guarantee we would have gotten to were we are in the west without Christianity, maybe or maybe not. And there is no guarantee society as a whole will be better off without it as a foundation.

1 Like

I didn’t think I’d have to explain the analogy. If you don’t see it then I’m not going to bother to explain.

An effective analogy should be easy to explain less it be mistaken for an insult.

Take it however you want to take it. The analogy stands as far as i’m concerned.

The scientist in me views these studies with a hint of skepticism basically because of the difficulty there is in controlling all the other variables that make up life. The reason I think it may be true is that people of faith may be more open to the idea that human beings are made up of body, mind, and spirit–and spend time caring for their spirit in the same way they care for body and mind. Spirit, I feel, has a great influence on who we are and on mood.

I take it that one of us does not know enough about Santa Claus or that one of us does not know enough about religious faith. I probably don’t know enough about Santa Claus.

1 Like

Ignorance is bliss