Were the 2010 midterms a wave election? Were the 2018 midterms? Compare and contrast

Democrats need to try this move.

Ahhhhh. Who am I kidding?

One of the things I’ve noticed (Josh Marshall has written about it, too): There’s never a good-faith argument about anything from these pygmy strangeloves. Instead, it’s the act of simply stating something is true that makes it true. That’s the whole point.

2 Likes

. . . Which you then project onto everyone else . . . .

Well then thanks for proving me correct…because that is just what democrats intend to do.

And if they don’t…I’m going to remind you’ll to impeach Trump.

About what? As I asked in the post that you ignored:

You’ve insisted for years now that Trump’s success heralded the total destruction of the Democratic party (Remember? Our world was crashing around us! Everything we cared about was being destroyed! We all laughed but we’d be sorry as we gobbled our peas!).

So what happened to this tectonic shift you’ve been crowing about? How’d we take back the house and hold the GOP to draw on the Senate, given that the economy has been pretty good? It doesn’t make much sense.

Or are you with Trump on this, in that it was “very close to complete victory” for the Republicans and the Plan Is Going Just As You Have Foreseen! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Democratic Party will fracture and dissolve! You were wrong about Trump, you’ll be wrong about this.

Eat your peas lib

I didn’t ignore it Marge, have lot on my plate ATM…but thanks for the reminder.

I believe the repugs failed to fully deliver their promises.

Now I’m being entertain on what you guys…meaning democrats going to do when THEY don’t. :sunglasses:

Also I’ve read someplace that one of biggest issues is going to push for stricter gun control.

That’s going to fly over specially in Midland region.

The same people you said Democrats lost forever in 2016?

I didn’t say that. I said it’s now up to repugs to keep it.

:thinking:
10bluewalls

Gerrymandering, to me, is the greatest threat to our country.

We are separated into camps and they sic us on each other as they rob us blind.

No seat should be that secure, you should have to serve all of the people you represent. We are so locked in that folks in Washington can do nearly anything and be as corrupt as they please and never face the consequences of their actions.

2 Likes

LOL!

10charlie :wilted_flower:

Paul Krugman had a good piece on this last week, the legitimacy issue of the Senate map versus the voter map. The gist being that as the population becomes increasingly urbanized the rural population becomes increasingly over represented in the Senate.

No problem. Look, when I am procrastinating doing more important real-world things by wasting time here, everyone needs to enable me immediately! :slight_smile:

I do wonder at what point the divergence would cause more serious problems.

For example, Trump lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes. Okay. That’s not enough, on its own, to cause substantial and serious legitimacy issues. But at what point would the disparity start to bite for real? 10 million? I think we could reach a place where cool, detached procedural arguments wouldn’t matter much if large groups of people thought 1). their votes didn’t matter and 2). things are so polarized that they’re being pissed on by the party that’s winning.

I think that the reason our parties have become so crazy lately is because of gerrymandering. They guys in the safe seats are replaced by more extreme people year after year because they can’t lose the general, so the election is completed by the base in the primary.

Life doesn’t get better for the primary voters, so in the next primary they elect someone even further to the right or left.

To be fair to all sides the midterms are usually not a good time for an incumbent president. Some results are worse than others and a few even pick up seats but on average the midterms are a time when the other side gets motivated to go out and vote.

Absolutely true, and reasonable to point out. What’s amusing in this particular midterm is Donald’s initial attempts to paint it as a yooge victory for the GOP, only to have him dissolve into twitter fits about voter fraud when late returns showed a much different picture.

I am a republican it wasn’t a huge victory, in all honesty I was hoping for a mild bludgeoning, but was expecting a game of thrones “Red Wedding” style massacre.

1 Like

Me must never allow them back into power…wait what? Damnit we did what?

A little follow up, now that Valadao has conceded:

• A net gain of 40 seats.

• Largest Democratic House gain since 1974. It’s a larger gain than Democrats had in the wave elections of both 1982 and 2006.

• The 2018 large turnout allowed House Democrats to win about 10 million more votes than House Republicans (Turnout was about 35 million more people than it was four years ago when Republicans expanded their House majority)

• 8.6 point House popular vote win for the Democrats is the greatest on record for a minority party heading into an election

Wave election.

7 Likes