We Are Diminished - Sidney Poitier

One of the greatest actors this country ever had.

Rest In Peace.

5 Likes

We’ve lost a few good ones recently.

RIP.

2 Likes

Wow. 94 is so impressive. I enjoy success AND longevity in a bio.

1 Like

Right? 2022 is off to a rough start.

R.I.P.

1 Like

He was a Great actor.

May he rest in peace.

1 Like

A giant of his profession. And a true artist. Rest in Peace.

1 Like

94 is a great run. What a talent!

Interesting fact: two of his most celebrated performances were in 1967: Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner and In the Heat of the Night.

Steiger (winner) and Tracy, his male co-stars, were nominated for Best Actor; even the guy who played the priest in GWCTD got a supporting actor nod - Poitier shut out!

1 Like

Heat of the Night
They Call Me Mr. Tibbs
Lilies of the Field

Just a few of my favorites

2 Likes

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
Poitier
Tracy
Hepburn
Ground breaking movie with a great cast.

2 Likes

In the Heat of the Night is on my top-20 all time list.

RIP

2 Likes

Shockingly, you didn’t include Nepoti…I mean Hepburn’s niece (Katharine Houghton) in that amazing list :slight_smile:

He was truly a great actor.

One of my favorite films is actually about him indirectly and not with him but it made me watch his movies. Six degrees of separation

1 Like

I do think we are blessed to live in a time when the wonderful performances of these masters of their trade can live on to be seen and shared with generations to come.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out. My error. I did not know she was Hepburn’s niece. It appears that she did herself some professional damage by her role selections.

We certainly are blessed. Once upon a time you had to wait until the local theater featured a old film. And then TCM made some of the classics available on cable. And VHS allowed us to rent or buy the classics. Now and in the future we have on demand streaming of these great films. I hope that the next generation will take advantage of experiencing some of the classics of the past.

1 Like

I think the bigger issue (and I’m no expert here) is that the 4 leads in that film were a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, a Maybach and a the ‘89 Ford Taurus station wagon I learned to drive in.