Wasilla Rep. Eastman's qualifications trial delves into Oath Keeper ideology

First of all, this is NOT a 14.3 issue. This trial has nothing at all to do with Section 3 of the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution.

This falls ENTIRELY under the Alaskan Constitution.

Article XII, Section 4 of the Alaska Constitution states:

No person who advocates, or who aids or belongs to any party or organization or association which advocates, the overthrow by force or violence of the government of the United States or of the State shall be qualified to hold any public office of trust or profit under this constitution.

The Alaska Constitution was written in 1956, in the middle of a Red Scare and the McCarthy Era. That explains the presence of this peculiar provision. While it may have been written with Communists in mind, obviously its plain language can apply to any subversive group.

Mat-Su voter, Randall Kowalke, filed the lawsuit to enforce the disloyalty provision. Eastman’s election certification is on hold pending the outcome of this trial.

It is undisputed that David Eastman is a member of Oath Keepers and in fact was a founding member of that organization.

And it is not necessary that Eastman himself participated or did not participate in January 6th. Belonging to an organization that advocates or tries to overthrow the United States Government by force is sufficient to disqualify him under the above provision, even if he had no direct or indirect involvement in January 6th.

So ultimately, Oath Keepers itself is on trial here. If the organization itself is found to have advocated for or engaged in the attempted overthrow of the government, Eastman, as a member thereof, will forfeit his office.

Should be interesting.

And to reiterate, this is not a 14.3 issue, but purely a State level issue. The Constitutional provision at issue here does not exist in most State Constitutions, so this sort of thing is likely only to be an issue in Alaska.

Also, if he is disqualified, he would NOT be disqualified from running for Congress from Alaska or even President from Alaska. This provision applies only to Alaskan State offices. He could move and run for a State office in another State.

Likely will get a final judgement from the court (this is a civil bench trial) as early as Monday, but almost certainly during the upcoming week.

1 Like

Can they make the case? Is the leadership being convicted enough? How can they show that the organization advocates the overthrow of the U.S. government? Surely it isn’t as simple as a clause in a charter somewhere?

Can they make the case? Plausibly, though I won’t give any odds. :smile:

Conviction of the leadership clearly helps this case along heavily.

Basically, it comes down to the study of the organizations actions over time. Are they acting against the lawful government??? That basically is the $6 Million question.

Well, they sure can make the case against individual members, but the organization? I bet they can’t make it.

Complete bs to attribute something a large group does to one person. Guilt by association, nonsense.

Let’s get to the critical question. Who is the judge and which political party does he associate with?

Am I responsible for the acts of all Republicans? Don’t you at least have to tell me being a Republican is illegal first? Feel free to insert any group you like, ANTIFA etc

Bottom line is, looks like the patriot act is now aimed at Americans instead of foreign terrorists.

He’s an Alaska State Judge, appointed by a Republican governor in 2021.

:rofl:

This case is a question of the Alaska state Constitution - what does the “Patriot Act” have to do wirh anything?

I find it hard to believe, “Oath Keepers,” seek to overthrow America.?? I don’t know much about them, but is this a legit characterization?

The â– â– â– â–  sham show of January 6th has been one of the most corrupt displays of government that I have witnessed in my lifetime. As the sheople are being fed, allow me to share that this is about NOTHING MORE THAN KEEPING TRUMP FROM EVER ENTERING THE WHITE HOUSE AGAIN.

1 Like