WAR in Ukraine, Putin approves initiation of special military operation (Part 1)

Not knowing the difference between propaganda and questioning the official message is a pretty cool.

2 Likes

Yes, the official positions from the White House and Kiev have been that there is no difference. Questions about pronouncements coming from Kiev or the White House amount to Russian propaganda. Anyone who leads the questioning is a treasonous agent of Putin. On the other hand, lies and misinformation are fine so long as they support the official narratives.

That was the whole point of the defunct Disinformation Board. That is why Ukraine issued an official “enemies list” of western politicians, commentators, and journalists. That is why there has been a campaign of state-supported censorship in the west.

The "Russians With Attitude” Twitter account became popular in part because they sometimes criticized Russia, in part because they were more careful with facts and viral claims that most U.S. corporate media outlets, and in part because there is such a paucity of outlets that are willing to offer any information that undercuts what the U.S. Government and NATO want you to believe about the war.

Their crime, like the crime of so many other banished accounts, was not disinformation but skepticism about the US/NATO propaganda campaign. Put another way, it is not “disinformation" but rather viewpoint-error that is targeted for silencing. One can spread as many lies and as much disinformation as one wants provided that it is designed to advance the NATO agenda in Ukraine . . .
Western Dissent from US/NATO Policy on Ukraine is Small, Yet the Censorship Campaign is Extreme

Yea Ukraine and washington have been pushing the same story cuz it’s a proxy war. The rest of your post is dramatic nonsense

It looks like the HIMARS punched more holes in the deck of the Kherson bridge. Temporary closure for repairs and inspections is not the same as destroying the bridge.

Here is video from a pro-Ukrainian twitter account:

Not particularly.

1 Like

The war is not going well for Russia. July proved to be a turning point where Russia went from being on the offense to being on the defense. Ukraine’s use of Western long range artillery (HIMARS) continues to degrade Russian ammo depots, supply routes, railroads, bridges and command posts. Though this appears to be a stalemate and war of attrition, Ukraine is slowly amassing forces to mount counteroffensives - especially in the South.

This article explains the trajectory and it does not look good for Putin/Russia. That also means this is a dangerous time as a toxic brew of failed expectations, rage and paranoia are running through the Kremlin.

2 Likes

Good article. Hopefully this is an accurate take on the current shift of fighting.

1 Like

Yes, neo-con propaganda is based on repeating the same stupid lies combined with aggressive censorship of any information that contradicts the party line. The “smart people” in Washington expected that the Russian economy to collapse months ago from the “nuclear-option” sanctions and the entrenched, NATO-trained Ukrainian military should have destroyed the Russians by now.

In contrast, here is a first-hand Ukrainian description the brutal conditions on the front lines of Donbas:

Pisky. Meat grinder
Author: Serhiy Gnezdilov
What is there to lose, what else can be taken from me on the sixth day of my personal hell, in Pisky, a kilometer from the first street of Donetsk, Ukraine? The bodies of those who were dearer to me than my family are lying under the heat in the trenches, broken by 152 caliber. As I wrote earlier, 6,500 shells per damn village in less than a day.

It’s been six such days already, and I can’t imagine how even a small number of our infantry survived in this barrage of enemy fire.

No, I’m not whining.

Two mortars 82 and 120 are working on our side.

Sometimes they wake up and “sneeze” two artillery barrels in the direction of Donetsk.

We hardly respond. There is no counter-battery fire, from the word go, the enemy puts artillery shells in our trenches without any problems, dismantles very strong, concrete positions in tens of minutes, pushing our defense line without pause or minimal rest.

The day before yesterday, the line broke, and a river of 200 or 300 [killed/wounded] was poured. I will not publish any statistics, it is forbidden in our country, but you have no idea the number and percentage of losses.

This is a hell of a meat grinder, where the battalion simply holds back the onslaught with their bodies . . .
https://www.moonofalabama.org/2022/08/ukraine-sitrep-on-the-ground-report-ukrainian-frontline-collapses.html#more

One man’s perspective from his “foxhole.” The seamen on the Yorktown thought they were losing the battle of Midway too.

Excuses, excuses.

If Ukrainian’s military really was trained by NATO there’s little doubt they would have sent the Russians packing a long time ago. Face it, the Russian military is pretty pathetic.

1 Like

melitopol is the key.

i said from the beginning, taking kherson would be a long hard slog and may not be successful. take melitopol and kherson follows more easily. from there the ukranians can then either go east and slog it out through the donbas, or south and take crimea. if it were me, i’d aim for sevastipol. the embarrassment alone would drive putin from power.

3 Likes

Yeah they may nibble around the edges in Kherson for a while slowly starving the Russians of supplies. That’s likely smarter than a frontal assault with block to block bloody fighting that would be high in casualties.

How is that offensive in Kherson going? Ukrainian tanks should be rolling into the center of city by now. Where are they?

Meanwhile the Russian artillery is destroying the Ukrainian army in Donbas. How is that possilbe when western experts have been saying for months that the Russians are just days away from running out of ammo? Here is an “expert” analysis from mid-March:

“I don’t think we should overreact to this. The Russians, I think, are about ten days away from what is called the culminating point, when they just no longer have the ammunition nor the manpower to keep up their assault. I think we keep pouring it on, and the Russians culminate,” he added.
Russian Army Days Away From Running Out of Resources, Military Experts Say

The forecast for Germany looks dark and cold as supplies of natural gas continue to dwindle. How are those shock-and-awe sanctions doing?

The one bright spot is that everything that Biden touches turns to ■■■■■ which could be harnessed to solve the sanctions-created fertilizer shortage.

■■■■ yeah!! Destroying whole cities in other countries in so awesome. Go team Russia!!!

Ukrainian army is using NATO weapons to shell Ukrainian civilians. The Ukrainian army has been shelling civilians in Donbas since 2014, and they are still doing it.

Most of the fighting in Donbas is being done by the DPR and LHR forces, not the Russian army itself. The locals are looking to end the shelling from NATO-backed forces once and for all.

Methodically destroying railroads, bridges and supply depots to squeeze the Russians in Kherson. I doubt they will do a full assault as there is no need- just simply wait them out.

Yes, that is the party line. Where are the photos of Ukrainian tanks rolling into Kherson?

I suspect that Ukrainians are rapidly burning through NATO’s stock of HIMARS and missiles like they have done with all the other overhyped wonder weapons. What is going to replace the HIMARS?

There aren’t because that would be dumb. Russians would chew up any tanks. This is akin to siege warfare where the supply routes are degraded and the Russians are isolated on the wrong side of the river. Then Ukraine can make targeted pinpoint attacks on them until they retreat or are significantly demoralized.

Or the Russians have already destroyed virtually all the Ukrainian tanks. Meanwhile Russian tanks are being used to clear Ukrainian antipersonnel mines dropped into civilian areas of Donetsk.

The Kherson offensive appears to be a NATO-ordered propaganda effort. They are need to some pretext that Ukraine to show that Ukraine is still in the war.