Volunteers Needed University of Pittsburgh Sero Survey

https://covid19research.pitt.edu/

UP is doing a nationwide study to see who has developed antibodies as a result of this outbreak.

If you’re willing to donate a little time and blood you could be of great help in seeing just the extent of the spread, how many people actually were infected and help in determining what titers confer actual active immunity to defeat the virus.

If you had it and were asymptomatic throughout there’s a very good chance you already have active immunity.

The more we can learn about this outbreak the better prepared we’ll be for the next one.

1 Like

I received an interesting piece of info from the director of the retirement center where my Mom resides. They have had only one resident test positive and that person was in the Health Center (think nursing home-like). He (or she) was quarantined for two weeks and as of today is testing negative, and this person never developed any symptoms.

Great news. We know that half or more cases are asymptomatic so without the Antibody Testing we’re never going to have a clue as to what percentage of the public has already had it and recovered.

My wife was just tested and said the procedure is having an extremely long “q-tip” stuck up your nose, farther than anything has ever gone in your life…and hope…ever does again. :rofl:

That would be testing for the presence of the virus itself rather than the antibody test which uses a blood sample.

1 Like

I’ll have to mention to her that my friends at Hannity Land said this would be the test of preference in the future and I think she’ll take the advice? :sunglasses:

In the end it’s the one that really matters.

If we can get 60-75% natural immunity before this virus makes another appearance it will be no more of a threat than the annual flu in the future.

Unlike the Common Cold it looks like this one is holding enough of it’s defining structure for a working vaccine and that will be the huge game changer for the future.

Hope the results are good news.

I saw call for this some time ago and dropped an email (per the suggestion of the article.)

Yesterday I got a response, which asked me to fill out a questionnaire. Nothing noteworthy in the questionnaire – just name/age/state/county and it asked if I ever tested positive or had COVID-like symptoms.

They’ll be getting back to me.

1 Like

I made it through step two so far, we shall see.

I run a residential progrAm for people with disabilities and I have 5 people who are positive. I spiked a 102 fever and went to hospital for two days. Came back with doxycycline for 2ndary infection zinc, vitamin C and predinsone and a inhaler. He hasn’t had a fever since day 3. His roommate just tested positive a week later, with no symptoms but was dehydrated. He’s at hospital now, because he does not drink fluids. I have two brothers one went to hospital and came back with same meds and two days later his brother ran a slight temp. And no is running normal for last three days. The 5th has a pacemaker and has been in hospital in Feb with a pneumonia like illness. He now is back in hospital as his heart rate was tachy at 104. His housemate is perfectly fine…so far.

Some of you may know the complaints I have had with the decision making at my agency of my bosses. I requested that we close out congrats day program a month ago. What do all my sick individuals have in common? They were among 8 people who continued to go to this program. Except for the brother. He did not. The staff there were not being truthful about their temps, and working sick. Now I have 4 of the 8 sick. There is no rhyme or reason to the symptoms. I had 12 people who have been exposed tested today by dept of health task force. I hope they are all negative. We need a win

1 Like

Best of luck Smyrna! I hope her test is negative. Saying a prayer!!

Much respect for what you do.
I hope you get that win.

Thank you both. She tested negative but had to do it because she’s a nurse. Two hospital staff tested positive so they tested everyone.

3 Likes

It’s Pitt. Just Pitt.

1 Like

SARS-COV2 Pandemic Serosurvey and Blood Sampling study

Thank you for your interest in the SARS-COV2 Pandemic Serosurvey and Blood Sampling study conducted by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) in partnership with the University of Alabama at Birmingham and the University of Pittsburgh. The results of this study will help identify the extent to which the coronavirus has spread undetected in the United States and provide insights into which communities and populations are most affected.

The University seems to disagree. I’ll go with their opinion.