Universal Income Instead Of "Itemized Welfare"

Yes it is.

Why not/how so?

It most assuredly is not.

I really have to explain this? Who loses more if money is suddenly worth half as much? A billionaire or a pauper?

At this point in time, I’m less inclined to opt for a universal income rather than itemized welfare because of game theory. I think there’s room for far more inefficiencies and sub-optimal outcomes with a UBI approach.

1 Like

Because a good portion of those who are employed are still “working poor” or one medical bill away from losing their home?

And if they don’t?

Indeed. But it’s not just a sociopathic view, it’s a myopic, detrimental view to the aggregate success of our country. The whole nation is better off when we implement support at the bottom. It improves stability in the economy and in social order—both of which greatly increases the well-being of the upper quintiles.

2 Likes

What happens when they’ve paid off their home?

The homeownership rate of those with incomes below the median income is about 50%. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the portion of those who have paid off their home is less than half. But my comment doesn’t only apply to homeowners, but to renters as well and the inability to pay their rent.

Everyone loses the same purchasing power relative to the amount they have. I dont weep for billionaires. Almost EVERYTHING affects billionaires in greater numbers, since they are billionaires. Its not a very good argument. Every tax affects them more. Every stock market downturn or uptick.

How did that 25% own their homes?

Sorry but taking your money is taking it.

So is making it worth less.

It’s the Ayn Rand ■■■■■ you I got mine” worldview.

We live in a fiat currency system. You don’t have any money. You have currency.

Gold is money. Nothing can devalue your money.

As I believe I pointed out, I had the same views when I had nothing.

And I am sure just like Ayn Rand, you have never taken on any form of government assistance.

2 Likes

Doesnt the Fed technically own all currency? Im not sure

Pell grants and federally guaranteed student loans, that’s it. And I would have been perfectly happy to have those be loans to be paid back in entirety instead of a grant or subsidized loan.