United States Solicitor General declines to appeal federal judge's decision striking down statute against female genital mutilation, sends letter to Congress suggesting a Constitutional alternative statute

Yes it predates religion since Egyptians done it long before religion but it’s prevalent throughout the cultures around the world.

So at what point is it responsibility of goverment to step and and dictate what cultures are acceptable?

Ok, let’s say you’re right. Is Egypt in Africa? 83% Are all who practice this custom Muslim? I don’t know.

I will agree that it is found predominantly in African countries. Are we saying it’s cultural then? Somalia - ages 15-49 - 98%. Are we saying that aspects of Somali (for example) culture are incompatible with our values and we should use the force of government to make them conform to said values?

Someone can take off an article of clothing or choose whether or not to abide by a religious guidelines. You can’t easily reverse body mutilation done to someone as a child. It’s why I believe any form of genital mutilation should be illegal.

1 Like

Fair enough. Can they take it off without being killed?

Who gets to decide?

Is that your criteria for deciding what cultural deviations are acceptable here?

No cultural or religious beliefs should supersede secular laws.

Huh. What does the 1st Amendment say? Do you get to pass a secular law that destroys a cultural belief?

Are you ok with English as a national language?

Is the Latino belief that they have a right to be here not being given precedence of US secular law?

DACA

We don’t want to let them wear burqas for ID pictures anymore?

That is so sad.

If we’re going to start passing laws against disgusting, I have a list…

Weeee down the slippery slope.

So “some” think infanticide is acceptable but FGM isn’t?

Yea but her name is Omar soooo…

Let’s eliminate this strawman right now, and I will come back to Sneaky with a single response a bit later.

I strongly oppose elective abortion beyond the viability point, (23 weeks). If it is a question of the health/life of the mother and the pregnancy is past 23 weeks and it is POSSIBLE to remove the fetus alive and intact AND doing so will not further jeopardize the life or health of the mother, I would support the attempt to do a live extraction. However, if if is a simple choice of mothers life or health versus the fetus, the life/health of the mother prevails. Fortunately, that situation is rare.

If it is a question of rape/incest and the pregnancy has exceeded 23 weeks, the choice must be made upon a number of factors that only a physician (in consultation with the girl/women or a guardian if the girl is incompetent to make the decision) is qualified to quantify and determine, although if a live extraction can be made without causing further harm to a girl/woman who is already a victim, it can be attempted at the doctor’s discretion. Again, the life/health of the woman/girl comes first.

Having disposed of that strawman, I will address Sneaky later.

You may have disposed of that poster’s strawman but the real issue, with abortion, is that some Americans want to outlaw abortion even one second after an egg is fertilized and there is no gray area. That’s why they use terms like infanticide for an abortion performed on a woman pregnant say, (hypothetically) for one day.

Calling it a strawman is cheap cop out IMO…and in most cases in bad faith as your example. When I see poster doing that I see him or her justify his or her own hypocrisy out of two possible reasons. This conversation is based on what role should goverment have on morality, religion, tradition and cultures…but instead all too many base their opinions on what is convenient instead where do the role of goverment begin and ends.

Now for those two reasons.

1 they are unable to explain away their hypocrisy or two defining the exact role of goverment scare them so they leave it open/ended.

For me my position had been pretty clear on abortion, I believe life starts at moment of conception. But where does the role of goverment comes in and dictates over ones body? Once you give that role to goverment then what else can goverment dictate?

Same thing with FGM…I oppose it with everything I got just like abortion. But where does does the role of goverment to dictate one heritage? Traditions? Culture? Religion.

Over the years I’ve found this conversation scares the ■■■■ out of people…so they deflect, insult, ignore and even lie instead of having this conversation.

Why are you guys discussing abortion?

It’s not just about abortion, a discussion about role goverment and when it should intervene at federal level…or not concerning religious, cultures, tradition etc.

Please leave out the abortion.

Is it banned in Michigan?

Yes

5 Yes’s

Come and get 'im! :wink: