U.S. prosecutors pull encrypted messages from phones seized in Cohen raids

People forget just how much law enforcement abused it’s powers.

Power corrupts, and LEO’s have more day-to-day power over peoples lives than almost anyone.

Sure. Same for reporters and sources.

Cohen seems to have tried to claim privilege over just about everything, doesn’t look like he was being truthful there though.

As Saul said, he doesn’t appear to do much lawyering.

Absolutely agreed. And I reject the notion of a “self-policing” organization. It’s not just the police, they are the interface. The whole judicial system is out of control and has been for years.

“Reasonable suspicion” makes me want to scream.

The notion of “protect and serve” is one of the most egregious propaganda campaigns ever fostered on the citizens of this country. Protect property and serve town councils.

I would say the judiciary has no respect for the Constitution if I thought they understood or had even read it.

They’re mindset is finding a way to put somebody in the system, not protect rights.

2 Likes

Yeah, he doesn’t sound like much of a lawyer but he is one.

I’m fine with a judge deciding. Not the police.

Yea, but WhatsApp has default end-to-end encryption and is one of the most popular messaging apps on the planet.

Now using Signal or Telegram, that makes me go Hmmm.

The judicial system is to be prized and abhorred, imo. Fantastic and terrible.

Unfortunately I see no viable alternative.

But the stories about American law enforcement make me shake my head. I know the worst stories get the most coverage, but ■■■■ me. That kid crawling in the hallway while sobbing before being executed will always stay with me. No charges.

I’m happy UK law enforcement remains largely unarmed, though I fear that will eventually change.

I believe they gave it over to a special master to decide what was privileged and what was not.

Yep.

But some minimal level of tech savviness is sometimes still required to avoid information being a lot more accessible than you thought.

1 Like

Me either, but the minute I think of one, we’re doing it…

A judge decided to do that?

I don’t know how I quoted all that.

Artificial intelligence?

Takes the human out of the equation.

I actually thought about that. No, I don’t think so. Judging is about the totality of the circumstances. Looking a man in the eye and measuring him.

it’s not as invasive as smashing them with hammers.

1 Like

Or cleaning it with a wash cloth.

1 Like

That’s true.

The issue is humanity itself. Humans cannot truly understand each other without misconceptions. And we are biased creatures, too. Combine those two things together and true justice can never really exist.

FBI Agents don’t allow their bias to affect their decisions.

I hope that’s sarcasm.

It’s an IG report.