Trump Wants to Take Away Tax Exemption From Schools

I don’t agree with that logic at all. There are any number of reasons someone may default on a loan. It’s not the school’s fault. The loan is between the student and the organization making it. The school is a third party receiving pay for a service. That’s like making a car dealership pay a bank if a customer defaults on an auto loan.

3 Likes

School don’t prepare people to get jobs.

The school receives the reward of the money and the student receives the reward of a profitable education. If the student didn’t profit from the education, then half…since they’re partners in this endeavor…gets charged back.

Ok, ok, ok…you were the exception? :sunglasses:

Not sure you understand what higher education is all about. I can give any number of examples of higher education where the goal is not to get a profitable education. But from a purely business aspect, one entity provides a service for payment. They are not responsible for the loan. If I take out a loan for construction equipment to start a business, and I default on the loan, does the company that sold me the equipment owe the bank money? Makes no sense.

You know that universities, if they even feel compelled to respond to this nonsense, will just say, okay, if you want tuitions to go up by forty percent. . .

And why would being “left” obviate qualification for tax-exemption in education, anyway?

The Constitution says exactly goose-egg about economic planning, distribution of the commonweal, or how to confront suffering.

How is teaching the broadly meliorist economics of the ‘left’ (and this is distinct from the corporate neoliberal embrace of bottom-line friendly ‘diversity’) imcompatible with tax-exemption?

How is the explicitly anti-wealth doctrine of the Nazarene okay, but not that of, say, Norwegian social democracy?

Apparently trump wants to create one.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1281616586273468416

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1281616590060965888

Would this ministry have a propaganda czar? I’m guessing my conservative friends here would applaud such a government agency/oversight?

1 Like

Trump, sitting in a corner, nursing his sucked-raw thumb:

“There is no plague
There is no plague
There is no pl…pl…plague…”

…while “Waiting for the Worms” plays on Stevie Boy Miller’s grubby little iPhone, somewhere in the background, because Stevie understands neither irony nor proportion. It’s such an aspirational, catchy kind of song, he sits there, thinking.

Donny, in his ochre and rust-colored bathos, hears the lyrics through the miasma of his world-swallowing sadness. He starts to get…notions.

3 Likes

the Ministry of Social Justice would have to intervene…

Woo he’s really getting desperate now.

Churches next one assumes

Seems to me libs don’t like this idea…but yet it is just what they advocate in doing to others.

2 Likes

Lol.

What about churches? Talk about indoctrination…I mean, they don’t even pretend …it’s actually their purpose.

But hey, I’m actually for charging universities and colleges local property taxes. Too many college town homeowners get whacked with high taxes because the universities pay nothing on their real estate.

1 Like

Who rec’d the money…the bank or the school? What was given in return? If…what was rec’d was of a true value, the student would be employed and capable of paying back the loan.

Once again, you’re missing something. The university is not part of the loan contract. What a person does or does not do with a degree, or doesn’t complete the degree, or completes the degree but is then unable to use that degree to make money, or chooses not to use that degree to make money, or gets injured and is unable to use degree to make money, or commits a crime and is unable to use degree to make money…It all has nothing to do with the university. They provide a service for payment. The loan is between the person and the one who gave the loan.

3 Likes

What should be done is make all colleges financially responsible if their students don’t get a good job after they graduate. In other words if their students can’t get a good job let those colleges be on the hook.

So I’m watching the promo for this UFC event on fight island. They took over a sort of theme park sized island. No one in or out they don’t control.

5 covid tests before you even get on the jet to Abu Dhabi
Another covid test when you land
2 days of inroom quarantine awaiting results
another test fight day.
mandatory masks, mandatory distancing. fail anything, you get pulled.
It seems to be working.

Impressive feat, hail science. Too bad it’s absolutely impossible for anyone else to achieve that.

Trump is threatening schools tax-exempt status? He’s killing mosquitoes while the crocodiles eat him.

My area is talking about locking down for 35 days again, grocery stores are getting weird again, school janitors are already dropping dead with covid but sure, threats about tax exempt status are the solution.

3 Likes

God forbid they pawn off any of that 2000 years of loot, before taking an American handout.

How much covered sex abuse claims?

How would this be enforced?

Would RISD be penalized if a BA in VA didn’t get a gallery showing, for example?