TRUMP in 1980: ‘I Would Dedicate My Life to this Country,’ America Needs People with ‘Strong Views’

Originally published at: TRUMP in 1980: ‘I Would Dedicate My Life to this Country,’ America Needs People with ‘Strong Views’ | Sean Hannity

Recently unearthed footage of Donald Trump’s 1980 interview with legendary columnist Rona Barrett is shedding new light on the President’s unlikely and historic journey from New York businessman to the White House.

“For some people the ultimate goal in life has been becoming the President of the United States. Would you like to be the President of the United States?” asked Barrett.

“I really don’t believe I would, Rona. But I would like to see somebody as the President who could do the job. There are very capable people in this country,” said Trump.

“Why wouldn’t you dedicate yourself to public service?” she pressed.

“Because I think it’s a very mean life. I would dedicate my life to this country, but I see it as being a mean life. I also see it as somebody with strong views, somebody with the kind of views that are maybe a little unpopular but may be right, wouldn’t necessarily have the chance of getting elected against somebody with no great brain but a big smile,” he added.

Watch Trump’s 1980 interview above.