Trump: I can pardon myself if I want to

So, above the law.

The socilaists transformed USA into Venezuela already. Stop talking about democracy, you hypocrites! You dont accept democracy if it isnt going according to your will

If “the business of Donald Trump” involves taking bribes from autocratic governments like Russia in exchange for policy favors it’s pretty well tied to an investigation of autocratic governments like Russia committing crimes to help get him elected.

Dictator of the United States and above the law. It has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? Jail and property confiscation for political opponents.

The constitutional crisis is already caused by that phony Russia investigation.
It was revealed that they fabricated reasons to start it, followed by abuses in order to get approvals for surveillance. End all that Russia stuff and thigs will calm down to normality. The dumbocrats yell always “play by rules” “the law” and so on…Fine! According to the rules/law, Trump can fire Mueller, Rosenstein and close that investiagtion. Guess in that case the rules doent matter anymore for that bunch of hypocrites?

You can parrot your memorized nonesense as ofetn as you want
This is an attempt of a coup and those who do it claim that Trump would be dictator if he defends himself

Who’s “they”?
Why hasn’t trump fired Mueller yet?

Anyone else get the feeling that some of the people posting here take this as some sort of confession, believe the crime has been found, and Republicans are supporting his criminal actions and its time to call in the military?
Deja vu the concerns that Obama was not going to give up the Presidency.

He should fire Mueller. And the dubocrats should accept it, as thats accordign to the constitution

I dont think he can. If he could what would stop him from committing some truly heinous crime and then pardoning himself to avoid justice. sure he would be impeached but that is not really justice… If he was able to pardon himself he could literally get away with and federal crime,even treason.

I think the presidents pardon power stops at himself

1 Like

It’s absolutely ******* hilarious that the actions of the leader of the party of “law and order” is even creating this discussion in the first place.

2 Likes

I’m sure he does whenever he is flatulent…

No.

10 cha

i can see him trying, but if they could we would have saw Nixon and Clinton pardoning himself no doubt. Since that didnt happen i dont see it. I would love to see it reach scotus and they just laugh at trumps lawyers.

Absolutely not. I don’t care what political party or ideologies they support. No man is above the law, including the president, and as soon as that changes we’ve gone from democracy to dictatorship.

It’s not entirely relevant, but even the Pope goes to other priests for confession. Ultimately, I think the traditional idea that a man can’t be his own judge will win the day.

Trump is better served squaring the issue away with Pence juuuuuust in case.

If so, why didn’t Nixon pardon himself?

You’re never going to see a sitting president even indicted much less convicted so it’s a moot point.

The constitution does however give presidents unlimited powers of pardons and commutations.

I believe a president can pardon himself.
The pardoning clause of the constitution does not prohibit it.

In the United States, the pardon power for federal crimes is granted to the President of the United States under Article II, Section 2 of the United States Constitution which states that the President “shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment”.

During the Constitutional Convention a motion was introduced to prohibit the president from pardoning treason. The reason was that the president himself might be the traitor and could pardon himself.
The motion was voted down. This makes it obvious that the framers intended for a president to be able to pardon himself.

heres an opinion from a couple of lawyers that disagree.

I agree with them. the president can not pardon himself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/no-trump-cant-pardon-himself-the-constitution-tells-us-so/2017/07/21/f3445d74-6e49-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html?utm_term=.39f197ba8fa7