Trump blocks ambassador from testifying

I don’t know where you guys got this one from, but it’s not the slightest bit true.

An impeachment inquiry is a legislative purpose - and the Court doesn’t care whether the House has voted or not. Congress sets the rules for impeachment. Nixon v. United States.

1 Like

Pelosi started it…wanted the appearance without a messy vote against a President who has the economy humming along rather nicely.

:lock_with_ink_pen:

Umm no, they were investigating the break in, they held the inquiry vote precisely to gain authority to subpoena his tapes.

From https://www.aei.org/politics-and-public-opinion/five-lessons-from-the-nixon-impeachment-inquiry/

2. The inquiry was authorized by a vote of the full House of Representatives.

To ensure that the committee had the necessary authority to undertake the impeachment inquiry and to strengthen its right to subpoena material from the White House, Rodino asked the House for explicit confirmation of the committee’s responsibilities and powers. This was consistent with the inquiry staff’s contention that the inquiry ought to proceed on an impeccably constitutional basis. As a staff memo to Rodino dated January 18, 1974 stated:

Jurisdiction over impeachment is nowhere expressly conferred. It is not enough to argue that the general power of the Judiciary Committee to proceed may ultimately be upheld.

1 Like

Get ready for Donald to hereby order all investigations against him to cease.

Bluster away…All that it is…Bluster.

…unless Rashidia is going to lock up people in the cafeteria.

Why would he do that?

He is toying with them and poised for an easy 2020 win.

He sure is. That grand and unmatched wisdom of his is full of ammunition.

:clown_face:

What does the economy have to do with anything?

Doesn’t need one. House makes it own rules per constitution.

Allan

An impeachment inquiry

Where did you get that ridiculous notion?

CEC talking points.

Allan

The constitution does not give them unlimited subpoena power.

For oversight, there just has to be legislative intent.

Allan

As a kid I remember my parents watching the Watergate hearings. They were broadcast on live on PBS. The only reason I was even in the room was because I knew Sesame Street would come on after they wrapped up the day’s coverage.

Undermines the incompetence narrative and the voters kinda like it too…You know those pesky voters that are watching Pelosi completely mess up the impeachment protocol and make up rules as she goes along.

As soon as she has a vote, I will begin to pay attention to the process…until then it is all pretend.

And it took a full three and a half years for the court to weigh in on the fast and furious documents and rule they had to be handed over so I wouldn’t be holding my breath if I were you.

The Congress can’t make up rules without a vote.

Where did you get the idea an impeachment could take place without the force of a vote?

There is no requirement for a vote. It’s not a new rule

1 Like

Making up rules.

You need the vote or the accused becomes unable to defend themselves.

We wouldn’t want THAT now would we?

You have nothing until a vote happens.

Merrick Garland taught me that the actions of the majority leader in the Senate constitutes the action of the body.

Surely the Speaker deserves the same.

4 Likes