TRUDEAU HANGS ON: Canadian Prime Minister Wins Second Term, Loses Majority in Parliament

Originally published at: TRUDEAU HANGS ON: Canadian Prime Minister Wins Second Term, Loses Majority in Parliament | Sean Hannity

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau won a second term in office Monday night; surviving a series of racial scandals but losing a clear majority in Parliament.

“Trudeau’s Liberal party took the most seats in Parliament, giving it the best chance to form a government. However, falling short of a majority meant the Liberals would have to rely on an opposition party to pass legislation,” reports the Associated Press.

“It’s not quite the same as 2015. It’s not all owing to the leader,” said a professor of Canadian history and international relations at the University of Toronto. “Trudeau is prime minister because the rest of the party was able to pull itself together and prevail. While Trudeau certainly deserves credit for what has happened he’s really going to have to demonstrate qualities that he hasn’t yet shown.”

“Tonight Canadians rejected division and negativity. They rejected cuts and austerity. They elected a progressive agenda and strong action on climate change,” Trudeau said Tuesday morning.

Trudeau secured the official endorsement from former President Barack Obama just days ahead of his country’s national election.

“I was proud to work with Justin Trudeau as President. He’s a hard-working, effective leader who takes on big issues like climate change. The world needs his progressive leadership now, and I hope our neighbors to the north support him for another term,” tweeted Obama.

I was proud to work with Justin Trudeau as President. He's a hard-working, effective leader who takes on big issues like climate change. The world needs his progressive leadership now, and I hope our neighbors to the north support him for another term.

— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) October 16, 2019

Read the full report at the Associated Press.